Howdens Joinery prices?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Have Howdens Joinery prices gone up? I don't use them much as I don't like the way they trade, also I don't really fit kitchens but this is for a friend. I told the friend that Howdens are okay price and quality wise but nearly fell over at the quote!

On the quote most items are showing a 28%-40% discount where I'm sure it used to be more (I know it's not really a discount but you know what I mean)?

The quote does show 63 worktop zipbolts totalling about £240 when we only need 6 :rolleyes:

Also a bit miffed that they emailed the quote to my friend as well as me, I am supplying it to them at cost so it doesn't matter in this instance but it's not how it's supposed to work.

Has anyone had any luck negotiating with them or trying a different branch?

Thanks for your thoughts, Doug

everythings going up buddy, if its imported its flying up, import coast have gone up 10 x compared 18 months ago....

I wont have anything to do with Howdens - primarily as they have the "how much would you like us to put on the quote for your customer?" rather than honest, transparent pricing.

But, yes prices for anything in the builder's merchant line has increased in price - partly shortage of supply, partly opportunity pricing . . . and along the route of HS2 (especially in Warwickshire/East Birmingham) they are hoovering up everything, including plant hire, and making the shortages even greater. Shuttering ply is like rocking horse droppings at the merchants where I am.

Not dealt with them for a while, but I remember how they work and price, it usually ends up being 80% off if I remember my last bill.

Certainly worth visiting another branch, and perhaps try magnet (if you have them by you) or another trade kitchen place for a comparison and then barter after if they are still expensive, or just buy from the place that is cheeper is quality is OK.

Didn't think their stuff was imported, they have a huge factory up north where all the carcasses and doors were made

do howdens need a reason to up their prices. also they seem to employ drones on the counter. hate them with a passion. glad I don't fit kitchens as I would have to deal with them. they are 100 yards up the road.
if you can't get it cheaper your just not trying.

I have to say the service and price I got from DIY kitchens years ago was fantastic. And the units were sprayed a colour we chose to boot. All pre assembled solid units /not a cam in sight) and given the amount of units and almost all of them being full of soft close blum drawers the price was excellent.

Didn't think their stuff was imported, they have a huge factory up north where all the carcasses and doors were made

Yeah. it's only 5 miles down the road from me (and Wren kitchens only a mile from that!) so another reason it should be cheaper for :unsure:

I have heard good things about DIY kitchens but their lead time will be too long.

Looking like I'm going to have to go down the negotiation route with Howdens. Just spoken to someone who got a grand knocked off with one quick phone call, apparently instead of buying the kitchen she told the sales person that Howdens are just a cartel and didn't buy it from them out of principle 😂😂😂

Looking at the quote they are charging £99 for delivery, is that normal?

Just checked and the last kitchen I got from them was June, quote for that showed that I supposedly got 75% discount on all cabinets and around 90% on plinths, cornice etc. This time cabinets show 28% discount and plinths, cornices etc 47% :dunno:

Just checked and the last kitchen I got from them was June, quote for that showed that I supposedly got 75% discount on all cabinets and around 90% on plinths, cornice etc. This time cabinets show 28% discount and plinths, cornices etc 47% :dunno:
Just seeing someone saying there's a 90% discount on something makes me not want to deal with them.

it really is a stupid way to trade - I think its due to the fact that the end customer can go into the shop, discuss their requirements, but price is either never mentioned, or they quote there fully inflated prices.

They should just have a price, and that's it - do any of the other trade outlets operate like this for kitchen, BenchMarx, Magnet etc?

it really is a stupid way to trade - I think its due to the fact that the end customer can go into the shop, discuss their requirements, but price is either never mentioned, or they quote there fully inflated prices.

They should just have a price, and that's it - do any of the other trade outlets operate like this for kitchen, BenchMarx, Magnet etc?
I think its fairly common though I don't actually know. I understand a discount for trades, 20% off lines they use a lot or whatever is fine, they put more business through. But 90%? Thats just making up numbers and adding a discount to make it reasonable.

I questioned the lower discount thing recently and was told that the discount structure has been changed, apparently the days of quotes stating 70%+ discount are over as they have reduced list prices and discounts to everybody and prices will be the same as with the massive discounts and often cheaper.

I have to say the service and price I got from DIY kitchens years ago was fantastic. And the units were sprayed a colour we chose to boot. All pre assembled solid units /not a cam in sight) and given the amount of units and almost all of them being full of soft close blum drawers the price was excellent.
We went through the same with Howdens about a decade ago (didn't like the hiding of prices and general attitude), sat through an excruciating sales pitch at Magnet ('I'll just go and have a word with the manager and see if we can get you extra discount... Success! But you have to take the offer today' etc) and ended up buying from DIY kitchens. Really pleased with the units etc, still holding up very well after a decade.

Kitchens sadly are like up close windows....both industries with opaque pricing and will rip you off if you don't scream loud enough.

In the old days Magnets etc used to do low headline prices for the carcasses then put silly numbers on end panels, cornice, pelmet, kickboard.

My experience of Howdens is they ring you up to tell you "it's in, we deliver it Thurs"......but conveniently forget the order is incomplete. Loads of times I've started an install only to find a key starting bit missing (corner unit)

I questioned the lower discount thing recently and was told that the discount structure has been changed, apparently the days of quotes stating 70%+ discount are over as they have reduced list prices and discounts to everybody and prices will be the same as with the massive discounts and often cheaper.

I did wonder if that was the case, they did recently introduce an online pricelist which is more or less inline with what they have quoted for the kitchen.

But 90%? Thats just making up numbers and adding a discount to make it reasonable.

What, you mean that nobody actually pays £160 each for wall cabinet end panels 😳, that would be the full price if I didn't get the 94% discount like on my last order which made them £9.42 ;)

It is a total joke but the quality is okay and they are handy for me.

My guess is the pricing structure started out with the intention the tradesman would show the customer the Howdens quote, then say "I can do free fitting" - it's how the upvc industry and garage door industry works.

Have Howdens Joinery prices gone up? I don't use them much as I don't like the way they trade, also I don't really fit kitchens but this is for a friend. I told the friend that Howdens are okay price and quality wise but nearly fell over at the quote!

On the quote most items are showing a 28%-40% discount where I'm sure it used to be more (I know it's not really a discount but you know what I mean)?

The quote does show 63 worktop zipbolts totalling about £240 when we only need 6 :rolleyes:

Also a bit miffed that they emailed the quote to my friend as well as me, I am supplying it to them at cost so it doesn't matter in this instance but it's not how it's supposed to work.

Has anyone had any luck negotiating with them or trying a different branch?

Thanks for your thoughts, Doug
The issue is Howdens do not really have a price. If you accept the price they offer you then they will be very happy. I ended up paying less than 50% of the initially quoted price, with firm negotiating - but that was three years ago now - but I cannot imagine their strategy has changed much.

I always vowed that if I was ever getting the big window companies in to do a house I'd get 3 of them in all at the same time.

Anyone that can slash 50% off an initial quote after just asking for it is not worth my time.

I always vowed that if I was ever getting the big window companies in to do a house I'd get 3 of them in all at the same time.
One time I arranged for 3 companies to give quotes for a job. I intended them to come and see the job at different times. One arrived late and another arrived early so those 2 were here at the same time. You might expect them to compete with each other but instead they decided to join forces and offered a single quote by which they would share the work. So having contractors in at the same time could easily backfire on you.

Back