How you know people are interested in fake woodworking...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try and explain what I meant. before youtube I used to buy collect and sell antique tools. it was something that nearly displaced woodworking. they call it a rabbit hole on here. I think its really easy to fall down one. I found antique tools extremely pleasurable....but it was not woodworking.
I make things everyday and sometimes I long for a rabbit hole. but the repetition of making and making helps cement and hone skills and thinking

You could get a home delivery from Poland I suppose 🤔

or just have lots of bacon sandwiches😋

Last edited:
Sticky and slippery at the same time, interesting.

Do you make your own tar ?

I'm guessing that the axel just rests on the bearing and the top is accessible for regular greasing, is that how it goes ?
The axle (think it is called wind shaft in English) is ballanced so that most of the weight is on the front bearing just inside the wings. The bearing is a hollowed out piece of granite and as you said open on top. The shaft is shod with longitudial spring steel bars let into the timber. The steel takes the wear and the wood between the steel bars distributes the lubrication...... or so I have been told.
The old bars were wrought iron with a thin steel face forge welded on but they were at the end of their useful life so I made the new ones from leaf springs scavenged from a broken up lorry at the scrap yard.

I have too many other things going on to make my own tar but I could if I wanted. However tar gets better if you make it in larger batches and that would be quite a job.

Where do you get it from in Finland? I wouldn't have a clue where/how to obtain lard.
I spoke to a local pig farmer who has some of his animals butchered locally and sells the resulting meat and sausages himself. He has the best bratwurst in the world by the way. Glada Knorren - griskött från frigående grisar
He sold me some pork belly fat and the woman with whom I live rindered it into lard in her largest cast iron kettle. The best lard which melted first she kept for frying and the lesser grade went to the windmill at work.

Problem is with this thread and YouTube videos in general is that I've spent half an hour catching up when I could be woodworking! on the other hand I could have been reading the woke thread!!!

Cheers James

I've been a hobby woodworker for the last 40+ years using a mix of hand tools and basic power tools. I made a lot of furniture (bed, bookcases, built -in wardrobes) in my 20s with very basic tools, when I bought a house that needed lots of work. I also repaired and restored some antique furniture - including a chair that still sits in our lounge. Now that I'm retired I've got a couple of small workshops - one mainly hand tools, the other houses a Kity combination machine, Charnwood bandsaw, Axminster belt/disc sander, a drill press, mitre saw, basic lathe, routers etc. I do like traditional hand tools - including interesting planes, draw knives, adze, shave horse, different saws and I collected many antique examples when I was living and working in France; I don't equate more tools with more productivity, its more a kind of industrial disease or affliction that gets worse with age! My latest acquisition is a beautiful joiner's bench and I've reorganised my shop to accommodate it, making a pact with myself to only keep the tools that I need and use frequently (the claw hammer being the only tool visible in the picture is just an unfortunate coincidence!). The other pictures are from recent projects.

The YouTube era has been a great influence on me as any formal training I had was limited to a few wood and metalwork classes at school. I admire Paul Sellars for his demonstrations of how to achieve accuracy and how to use and sharpen particular tools, I love Harry Rogers (Windsor chair to wooden cloggs) for his willingness to take on new challenges and share the journey, I watch Pask Makes for his diverse skills and creativity and Mr Chickadee for his hand tool skills and the scale of the projects he undertakes. I find watching YouTube videos can provide the encouragement, inspiration and technical expertise that gives me the confidence to push myself beyond my comfort zone and retirement allows me the time to enjoy the learning experience.

One thing I miss is the daily teamwork, camraderie and banter of the workplace. UK Workshop is somewhere to go to find the chat, the jokes, the advice, the wit and repartee that I enjoy. Keep up the good work, be creative and inspire us with your ideas, remember - time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Attachments

• image2 (9).jpeg
    image2 (9).jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image3 (4).jpeg
    image3 (4).jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG