How would you rate the UK's handling of this pandemic?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't even notice until you pointed it out R, squirted tea up my nose

Someone explained the difference in the variants of the virus to me today ...

8C7F9F11-626B-4BAA-A37B-8734EF3BFF8D.jpeg

828,000 extra unemployed I see today, that is with the furlough scheme still ongoing. I dread to think what those figures will be when furlough ends.

And if the strategy had been no lockdown.....it would've been as bad or most likely worse.

And if the strategy had been no lockdown.....it would've been as bad or most likely worse.

You have no idea if that is the case. Some countries who didn't do lockdown are not doing worse, especially once the virus has unfiltrated the population.

I don't think it's necessary to try for one upmanship, it was an umemployment statement, it's shiit for those 800k.

The BBC news gets condemned by the right for being too left, and by the left for being too right. This, more than anything else, i think, gives it credibility.

Today, this report -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55757790
Given that most of the rest of the world, when you look at the data, has performed better than the UK in, well, more or less any way you care to examine, you have to wonder -

Is it that our set of circumstances are so uniquely poor that noone could have done better, or
Do we have a one-trick-pony of a government, voted in and set up on the single issue of Brexit, that has found itself wholly incompetent with regard to handling a difficult time?

I don't think it's necessary to try for one upmanship, it was an umemployment statement, it's shiit for those 800k.
Bah faux outrage :)

It is not one upmanship.

It was not unemployment statement....we all know Rorchach's intent behind the post.

I read something today -

If you gave someone ten grand a day, starting at the end of the bronze age (ie a fair while back) and continued from then until now, then you would have had enough to foot the bill for ********* (deliberately blank - answers on a post card)

Because i like to check things like that, i did the sums, and they are wrong. Its actually ten grand a day, every day, since the end of the bronze age, and THEN the back again.

The sheer scale of that government screw up is hard to even comprehend.

You have no idea if that is the case. Some countries who didn't do lockdown are not doing worse, especially once the virus has unfiltrated the population.

There is no such thing as "a lockdown"

Every country has taken various non pharmaceutical interventions.

I read something today -

If you gave someone ten grand a day, starting at the end of the bronze age (ie a fair while back) and continued from then until now, then you would have had enough to foot the bill for ********* (deliberately blank - answers on a post card)

Because i like to check things like that, i did the sums, and they are wrong. Its actually ten grand a day, every day, since the end of the bronze age, and THEN the back again.

The sheer scale of that government screw up is hard to even comprehend.

Jeremy Corbyns duffle coat collection, what do I win.

I think you should start a riddle thread.

Has the government screwed up? Yes, in lots of ways and we can all disagree on those ways. On the death toll though I don't think it's that awful considering it is a new virus for which we had no vaccine and no treatment plan. Take out the care home figures and the death toll drops by more than a third, split the number over two winters and it comes more into line with having a couple of bad flu years. The average age of death is 83(ish) and clearly bodies are not piling up on the streets. Most importantly children and the younger groups are barely affected.

I am not going to compare to other countries, it's too difficult with the demographics as well as counting of deaths etc but it's safe to say no-one has fared well in this taken as whole. Low death numbers come with other costs, maybe not realised for years to come. As I have always said, we won't know the true picture for years to come, if ever.

Countdown to condemnation from the usual suspects in 3........2.........1........

The BBC news gets condemned by the right for being too left, and by the left for being too right. This, more than anything else, i think, gives it credibility.

Today, this report -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55757790
Given that most of the rest of the world, when you look at the data, has performed better than the UK in, well, more or less any way you care to examine, you have to wonder -

Is it that our set of circumstances are so uniquely poor that noone could have done better, or
Do we have a one-trick-pony of a government, voted in and set up on the single issue of Brexit, that has found itself wholly incompetent with regard to handling a difficult time?

How can the govt realistically control an endemic virus in a democracy? It cannot. We have never put our army on the street.

All countries will have an ebb and flow of this virus. Some circumstances will see us do less well (way of recording deaths, care homes, nosocomial infections) and some circumstances will see us do better (vaccine, many parts of the country have minute deaths, even 100k in 67 million isn't massive considering our mega city and other large cities)

There will be lots of things in hindsight that could have been done better but treating the deaths as a daily chart to compare with other countries is virtually meaningless at the moment.

We are still in a position where we have to live with this virus and let it spread

That statement really really shows just how ignorant you are

No its shows how realistic I am.

Deaths from Covid are 0.14%. If you are thick enough to pretend that every death is the same value then it shows how ignorant of medical decisions you are.

Fantasies about big govt taking control need to be left in your head

Well that was interesting, Jonathon Ashworth on the radio this morning, not a man I usually agree with but he was brave enough to admit that we will have to decide on an acceptable number of deaths going forward. I think this is the first time I have heard an MP say something other than basically "zero covid". Common sense is returning! (maybe).

No its shows your ignorance of British history and the use of the British army as a tool of subjugation of the British population and your ignorance of the rules of English usage vis a vie grammar and syntax.

Last edited:
Jeremy Corbyns duffle coat collection, what do I win.

I think you should start a riddle thread.

Ill give you a clue,

£10,000 per day
for the past 3200 years
works out at about 11 billion

What has the government spent £22 billion (I know the exact figure is debated, but, hey, lets not argue over "small" change!) on, to no real benefit to the general public at large?

There will be lots of things in hindsight that could have been done better but treating the deaths as a daily chart to compare with other countries is virtually meaningless at the moment.

I previously asked you if there were any statistics that would show our governments handling of this situation in a favourable light.

You did reply, but, like a politician - with a lot of words and no actual answer to the question.

I didn't mention it at the time, as I saw little point in doing so, but now that you are quoting me again, might I ask again, please?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back