How would you rate the UK's handling of this pandemic?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the USA it was described as just a flu, nothing to worry about.

Cheers, Vann.

If this is being touted as the average sentiment here, it's grossly inaccurate. A small minority may say something like that. For 90 percent of the population, the discussion is about weighing the real risk against the rights of small businesses.

Pensioners and folks with state jobs were the loudest about shutting down here, too, as they thought they had protected income. The pensioners do.

Pensioners are going to get a rude awakening I think, their triple lock and vote buying benefits like free bus passes will be out for the taking I reckon.

I do have sympathy with teachers. They could be vaccinated asap but we won't do it because of need to retain the lockdown narrative for a while yet

They're being vaccinated here right now. Teachers and daycare workers. For the rest of us, the vaccine isn't available. The first wave was health care workers and nursing home residents + individuals over 75 (which the CDC has revised to over 65). My parents are in the over 65 group, but not over 75. I'm thankful that they can get the vaccine - and they're doing it next week.

I've heard a few people who have daycare clearance, etc, but haven't worked in daycare in years cutting in line because the hospitals/health systems giving the vaccine aren't set up to check anything.

Anyway, back to the teachers - they're all eligible and supplied for vaccination everywhere on my end of the country ,but there are suddenly collective bargaining issues. The contracts (most in place before covid) don't require teachers to be vaccinated and there's no way to require it unless bargaining is reopened and it's agreed as part of the contract. I can't imagine any of the union reps pushing for this as they'll just get voted out next time. Not because more teachers don't want vaccinated than do, but rather the effect of losing some minority vote automatically and then having to win more than the majority of the rest (and there are certainly a few teachers here who like teaching from home and will do it as long as they can - esp. specialty teachers. The gym teacher here has been getting away with putting together one 15-minute video a day and replaying it for kids who would normally be in class for 40 minutes. More or less has the kids doing 15 minutes of calisthenics.

Another one that we know is in a district (these are decided at the local level) where the parents are affluent and conservative, and they want the kids in school full time, but for the objectors to sending kids, the teachers also have to publish concurrent material to the "virtual school" component for parents who refuse to enroll in B&M, so those teachers are having to do more and would like to go back.

Health care system here (one of them) has notified us that they have no additional doses for second phase. But this is the states, so we don't have to get them from our particular health system - all we have to do is find one private or public vendor or health system with the vaccine and get it there and it's covered.

(spouse works in health care part time, so she's already vaccinated). The data here shows that transmission from kid to kid in school is low, and transmission from affected teacher to students (all wearing masks in school) is practically zero. Kids in my locale are in school part time - the teacher teaches to the ipad and the kids in school are just present for it also doing their work on their ipads while the other half of the class is remote. If teachers are vaccinated, there's practically no reason for schools not to be in session here. It's very apparent that the pace of learning is much slower with remote learning than in regular school schedule.

i can assure you that it is not. Direct info from SWMBO union rep just under 40% of Scottish teachers and classroom assistants are in quarrintine at any one time. so far out of 1/2 mil UK total teachers just over 0.4% have died from covid. Here the teachers are happy to go back to school if blended learning is adopted as currently there are still as many as 18 kids in a class with 8 desks. and you can not be more than 2m away all the time. I know one school which had half the supply teachers of edinburgh (city only has 26 in total) in it due to staff having covid and most claiming they caught it at school

Vaccinating the teachers won't have any effect on getting them back into the classroom.

From a moral and practical standpoint it is the elderly that should be vaccinated first.

I see, we are not meant to point out your cognitive dissonance/hypocrisy or atttempt to correct it?

You claiming a moral standpoint that the elderly should get it first when you in fact promote letting them die for you profit line and previous claim the young (ie you) should get it first to help the economy

You claiming a moral standpoint that the elderly should get it first when you in fact promote letting them die for you profit line and previous claim the young (ie you) should get it first to help the economy

I didn't say I wanted them too, I have always stated they should protect themselves (if they want to). When did I claim the young should get it first? I don't recall doing so but happy to be proved wrong. If the vaccine stopped transmission then yes it would make sense for the young to get it, but it doesn't, it only stops you getting very ill, so in that case the elderly should get it.

I didn't say I wanted them too, I have always stated they should protect themselves (if they want to). When did I claim the young should get it first? I don't recall doing so but happy to be proved wrong. If the vaccine stopped transmission then yes it would make sense for the young to get it, but it doesn't, it only stops you getting very ill, so in that case the elderly should get it.
The gist I’ve got from your posts is:

Let the old shield/die/shrivel up.
Everybody else get on with life, lockdowns waste of time.

The gist I’ve got from your posts is:

Let the old shield/die/shrivel up.
Everybody else get on with life, lockdowns waste of time.

It's a bit more nuanced than that. I've explained plenty of times though but people seem to read what they want to read.

EDIT: I should really point out, the government policy has been to let the old shield, die and shrivel up and it's been very successful.

It's a bit more nuanced than that. I've explained plenty of times though but people seem to read what they want to read.

But not wrong, just less nuanced? Glad that’s cleared up.

But not wrong, just less nuanced? Glad that’s cleared up.

Yeah, I mean you are happy for them to shield I assume? Or is wanting that bad too? I want them to shield, but I don't want them to be forced to do so. I don't want them to die, but I accept that old people die, like 600k+ every year die, and lots more in bad flu years. I lost several elderly family members in the last few years, it's sad of course, but it was going to happen one day just like one day I'll die.
As for shrivel up, I am not sure what I have said that promotes that? I think my arguments have been for the opposite.

@Rorschach I think I can safely say that for well over 3/4 of the readers of your posts throughout all the Covid related threads the overarching message you have postulated is purely financial in motivation not moral and how you should not be put out by the actions needed to keep those less fortunate alive. Now for me even without being in my current medical situation (which only startdd just before covid) I would still have sat in the house and earned nothing if it meant even 1 person staying alive while i had to live as I have. You on the other hand have been very Trumpish regarding the well being of others if there is nothing in it for you. That is the way your arguments have come across

@Rorschach I think I can safely say that for well over 3/4 of the readers of your posts throughout all the Covid related threads the overarching message you have postulated is purely financial in motivation not moral and how you should not be put out by the actions needed to keep those less fortunate alive. Now for me even without being in my current medical situation (which only startdd just before covid) I would still have sat in the house and earned nothing if it meant even 1 person staying alive while i had to live as I have. You on the other hand have been very Trumpish regarding the well being of others if there is nothing in it for you. That is the way your arguments have come across

Ok well that's the way you have taken it. I should point out though, the measures that have been taken are disastrous for the country and yet have still lead to 100k deaths. That death toll will continue to increase for years after C19 is just a memory thanks to economic, social, and mental health damage that has been done. Those that we have supposedly "saved" will be long dead while middle aged people are dying slowly of cancer (or other disease) that might have been curable and the whole country lives a poorer, more miserable existence for potentially decades. If you think that a price worth paying, well ok, personally, I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back