How would you rate the UK's handling of this pandemic?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite Bob if you think back he very clearly said the ones dying would have died soon anyway, he was very firmly castigated for that and wriggled like a snake trying to get out of it.

That's still true as well, they are mostly care home residents, lockdown hasn't helped them has it.

Not quite Bob if you think back he very clearly said the ones dying would have died soon anyway, he was very firmly castigated for that and wriggled like a snake trying to get out of it.

I think that's a seperate point to the one I raised.

That's still true as well, they are mostly care home residents, lockdown hasn't helped them has it.
Hardly catching covid over the age of 50 isn't a throw of the dice I'd be too happy doing on a daily basis without restrictions.

Cheers James

Rubbish.
The reason care home residents are dying is still because the homes are breeding grounds for the virus as it's very difficult to stop it with staff coming in and out no matter how hard they try, if they get it of course they're more likely to die.
What you fail to understand when often pontificating about deaths from other causes being worse than allowing the virus to just spread and achieve herd immunity, yes you did say that, is those deaths and possibly more would happen when the hospitals are overloaded, staff off work with Covid or sheer exhaustion, how do you think cancer treatments for example would be carried out.

Admissions to hospital due to Covid is not confined to old people, it's across all adult ages and while the younger age groups are less likely to die they are still tying up hospital resourses often for weeks.

You also have regularly stated Covid is no worse than flu :rolleyes:
Just a few figures on daily hospital admissions in England of admissions of patients with Covid I've taken only the 15th of the month as that's up to date.
August- 630
Sept. - 891
Oct. - 4569
Nov. - 13866
Dec. - 15031
Jan. - 33362

It's clear to see the effect when people are allowed to congregate or do so in ignorance or selfishness and I'd refer you back to your posts already mentioned which were quite rightly deleted

Even better that they should catch it and discover the possibility that due to complications even if they survive they may have sustained damage which has effectively knocked years off their lives.

Is it any wonder that people died in care homes? They are generally just a big house or hotel if a posh one, residents in close proximity for meals and activities, staff and visitors in and out so a fertile breeding ground for infection. My MiL is still pretty fit at 93 and when her home got a couple of cases they confined all to their rooms, after 4 weeks the home was clear.
On the other hand my BiL very fit and reasonably healthy caught it and after 3 weeks on a ventilator died, they said even had he made it the damage done would make him an invalid.. my daughter's friend died last week no health issues whatsoever before Covid - aged 36.
I know 5 people who've had Covid, 2 had only mild symptoms and soon recovered, 3 had it very badly of whom one died. The two who recovered described the terrifying experience of fighting for every breath, convinced that the next intake of air would be their last. 9 months on they're still suffering debilitating after-effects and have been told they may have permanent lung damage. It's true there are significant bad effects from lockdown, but the alternative of letting the virus rip through the population doesn't bear thinking about.

Trust me, I am not on anyones side, I want the world to get better.

However, I think Rorschach's is not stating that at all, I understood that he wants the vunerable to properly lockdown and to be looked after better, and open up the rest more. I'm not convinced by that, but I really think you have missed some of his post meaning. Or maybe it's me!!!
I dont think it is a different point Bob you know exactly what he said in that last thread that was deleted as you actively posted comments as well, as I've just said he was castigated for those. I can't remember how long after that it was before he was banned but he deserved it. ;)

I dont think it is a different point Bob you know exactly what he said in that last thread that was deleted as you actively posted comments as well, as I've just said he was castigated for those. I can't remember how long after that it was before he was banned but he deserved it. ;)

of course, why would I not know, but it's not relevant to my correction above. If you want to argue with Rorsch---- again, go for it. I merely tried to clarify what I considered an incorrect post.

That would have been true in a lot of cases. Care Home excess deaths are a good example of this. Average stay in a care home is I think less than 9 months.

So we need some perspective.

Hardly catching covid over the age of 50 isn't a throw of the dice I'd be too happy doing on a daily basis without restrictions.

Cheers James

What's your job? Who do you want to see restricted?

Rubbish.
The reason care home residents are dying is still because the homes are breeding grounds for the virus as it's very difficult to stop it with staff coming in and out no matter how hard they try, if they get it of course they're more likely to die.
What you fail to understand when often pontificating about deaths from other causes being worse than allowing the virus to just spread and achieve herd immunity, yes you did say that, is those deaths and possibly more would happen when the hospitals are overloaded, staff off work with Covid or sheer exhaustion, how do you think cancer treatments for example would be carried out.

Admissions to hospital due to Covid is not confined to old people, it's across all adult ages and while the younger age groups are less likely to die they are still tying up hospital resourses often for weeks.

You also have regularly stated Covid is no worse than flu :rolleyes:
Just a few figures on daily hospital admissions in England of admissions of patients with Covid I've taken only the 15th of the month as that's up to date.
August- 630
Sept. - 891
Oct. - 4569
Nov. - 13866
Dec. - 15031
Jan. - 33362

It's clear to see the effect when people are allowed to congregate or do so in ignorance or selfishness and I'd refer you back to your posts already mentioned which were quite rightly deleted

You've got it wrong. There is always more admissions in winter over summer. Covid is now endemic. We get more colds in the winter because we are indoors more. This is not new.

Covid is still statically in the envelope of a bad flu year. Maybe a little bit above. Its still nasty if you are unlucky enough to get badly affected of course

You've got it wrong. There is always more admissions in winter over summer. Covid is now endemic. We get more colds in the winter because we are indoors more. This is not new.

Covid is still statically in the envelope of a bad flu year. Maybe a little bit above. Its still nasty if you are unlucky enough to get badly affected of course

That’s not what the statistics point to ...

https://www.ft.com/video/0cd6f9f9-664e-40f9-bad4-dde59d7c746c

Hmm...I'm not sure how almost 40,000 Covid patients in England, ( tonights news) 25% of whom are under the age of 55 ties in with being " in the envelope"

of course, why would I not know, but it's not relevant to my correction above. If you want to argue with Rorsch---- again, go for it. I merely tried to clarify what I considered an incorrect post.
Not having a go at you Bob I just don't read his post as being correctso will just beg to differ

This envelope includes Spanish Flu I assume (oxygen barely available, nothing beyond that, not even the iron lung, never mind all the incredible things they have in ITU these days to try to save you).

Last edited:
What's your job? Who do you want to see restricted?
By restrictions I mean tiers / lockdown

my job has no bearing on the situation other than giving me a decent understanding of the local NHS situation.

Cheers

Covid is still statically in the envelope of a bad flu year

No it isn't.

You mean Covid deaths, DESPITE millions of people shielding, massive govt efforts to restrict social gatherings, massive collective effort to reduce shielding......so no equivalence to flu.

Also please can you give me an example of a bad flu year where over 700 healthcare workers have died, hundreds of essential, workers like bus drivers have died, where thousands of people are suffering long Covid, where hospitals are overwhelmed to the extent they are now.

The reason for my Spanish Flu comment was last year was the highest excess deaths since 1940. Despite all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back