How would you paint these ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 72 of these ovals which are plant-ons for the orangerie.

Medite External. But how to paint them ? :eusa-think: And what with. I see little point in going to the bother of linseed oil paint given that they are Medite External.

Brush painting will be painfully slow. But spraying will waste so much paint given their profile. The best I can think up is some sort of rack suspended over a very large drip tray. Dunk each of them one by one into a tray full of paint and hang them up to drip the excess paint down onto the drip tray and recycle that paint for dipping the rest.

But then I start to think about denibbing all 72. Do I bother ? Gut feel says yes as the nibs (admittedly much less with External than standard MDF) will accumulate dirt from the rain rather quicker than if they were smooth and the rainwater would run off.

I use ex medite for sink and dishwasher doors.
Will it really hold up exposed outside.
I made a sledge out of it for a sprinkler when my new lawn was seeded and it did split eventually when soaked.

Not saying it won't but not convinced. Curious?

doctor Bob":2xchkghx said:
I made a sledge out of it for a sprinkler when my new lawn was seeded and it did split eventually when soaked.

I thought the same. Tricoya would have cost more but how much is your time worth if you have to remake and repaint it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The thought of brush painting them is probably worse than actually doing it. Treat yourself to a new album, play it loud and crack on with it !

RogerS":2xkeu2nz said:
The best I can think up is some sort of rack suspended over a very large drip tray. Dunk each of them one by one into a tray full of paint and hang them up to drip the excess paint down onto the drip tray and recycle that paint for dipping the rest.

Don't do that, you'll have terrible runs and thick spots and you'll seriously regret it because it will look awful and patchy.

What are you actually planning on painting them with? I don't know how you like to spray (Upright in a booth?), but I'd be tempted to get a piece of plywood the same size as the ring, drive 4 or more screws into it to support the rings, plop the plywood on top of a couple of sawhorses and paint down onto them from above with the gun set with a very narrow fan with not so much pressure that it's flooding the piece with paint, just a nice even coat. Stick a couple of thin wooden bearers underneath the piece and take it somewhere to dry and repeat.

72 of them is going to be monotonous no matter whichever way you look at it. Especially when you're denibbing them as you will realise that medite loves to go really rough on the exposed edges (just like regular MDF) when it's painted! :lol:

well Roger, in answer to your question, I'd paint them with flair, style and panache using a HVLP gun :p

But I would go over the edges first with some body filler after routing the edges and then use the router again to get a nice edge finish that wont turn into the himalayas after spraying on the primer

ColeyS1":7inl5khp said:
doctor Bob":7inl5khp said:

I thought the same. Tricoya would have cost more but how much is your time worth if you have to remake and repaint it.

My sheet supplier doesn't stock exterior mdf anymore, only moisture resistant or Tricoya, they reckon Tricoya is far superior and worth paying the extra for (maybe they just make more money on it).

I would also HVLP spray them, but I would make a small turntable to put them on, give it a gentle spin and spray them while they spin.

Droogs":1x0l1880 said:
well Roger, in answer to your question, I'd paint them with flair, style and panache using a HVLP gun :p

But I would go over the edges first with some body filler after routing the edges and then use the router again to get a nice edge finish that wont turn into the himalayas after spraying on the primer

Thanks for the suggestions, Droogs, but they've already been made by CNC. However I might run out of flair, style and panache by the time I get to No. 72 :D

Over on TWH2 someone has suggested getting them powder coated.

Seriously Roger, unless they are extremely well sealed they will fail. My sprinkler sledge started to split after about 4 days.

doctor Bob":3cordtgm said:
Seriously Roger, unless they are extremely well sealed they will fail. My sprinkler sledge started to split after about 4 days.

I take your point, Bob, and am back to thinking about linseed oil paint as I know that that is pretty bullet-proof.

If I had to use them I'd put on two coats of dulux aluminium primer to start with. It can be sprayed providing you wear the right mask

Sprayed definitely and b*gg*r any paint lost to over spray!
The thought of a brush or roller on 72 of these, no thank you!!

I would certainly knock up a little jig with screws to hold them and use a lazy susan.
Give it a spin as you spray, it should only take a few seconds each to spray them with that set up and a narrow fan width.

Rodger, many years ago when I lived in uk I made up my workshop doors in MR MDF....I painted them with many coats of lead based paint, started to swell after a couple of years, they survived approximately 10 years, but looked terrible.

As Bob said, they will eventually blow.

If I was faced with protecting MDF for exterior I would try a renner water based paint https://www.rennerwoodcoatings.com/ and seal them completely....fit with a polymer silicon and NO mechanical fixing.

My present Iroko window have renner stain and lacquer and is still good after 14 years.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Can I please make it clear these are made of Tricoya mdf not exterior mdf I know that as I made them :D :D

Jonathan S":3cy7ffhj said:
Rodger, many years ago when I lived in uk I made up my workshop doors in MR MDF....I painted them with many coats of lead based paint, started to swell after a couple of years, they survived approximately 10 years, but looked terrible.

As Bob said, they will eventually blow.

If I was faced with protecting MDF for exterior I would try a renner water based paint https://www.rennerwoodcoatings.com/ and seal them completely....fit with a polymer silicon and NO mechanical fixing.

My present Iroko window have renner stain and lacquer and is still good after 14 years.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Hi Jonathan

I take your point but I'm using External which is much more suited to outside use compared to MR. At least that's my understanding.

I like the link to that manufacturer.

Chrispy":g2yjbibj said:
Can I please make it clear these are made of Tricoya mdf not exterior mdf I know that as I made them :D :D

=D> =D> Oooh.....even better, thanks, Chrispy. I'm being a numpty as I'd used Medite External on the door panels. :oops: I'd forgotten that that was what you recommended. :oops: :oops: