Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

How would you paint these ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

RogerS

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2004
Messages
17,391
Reaction score
78
Location
In the eternally wet North
I have 72 of these ovals which are plant-ons for the orangerie.



Medite External. But how to paint them ? :eusa-think: And what with. I see little point in going to the bother of linseed oil paint given that they are Medite External.

Brush painting will be painfully slow. But spraying will waste so much paint given their profile. The best I can think up is some sort of rack suspended over a very large drip tray. Dunk each of them one by one into a tray full of paint and hang them up to drip the excess paint down onto the drip tray and recycle that paint for dipping the rest.

But then I start to think about denibbing all 72. Do I bother ? Gut feel says yes as the nibs (admittedly much less with External than standard MDF) will accumulate dirt from the rain rather quicker than if they were smooth and the rainwater would run off.
 

doctor Bob

Established Member
Joined
22 Jun 2011
Messages
4,276
Reaction score
752
Location
Matching Green
I use ex medite for sink and dishwasher doors.
Will it really hold up exposed outside.
I made a sledge out of it for a sprinkler when my new lawn was seeded and it did split eventually when soaked.

Not saying it won't but not convinced. Curious?
 

ColeyS1

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2009
Messages
4,240
Reaction score
10
doctor Bob":2xchkghx said:
I use ex medite for sink and dishwasher doors.
Will it really hold up exposed outside.
I made a sledge out of it for a sprinkler when my new lawn was seeded and it did split eventually when soaked.

Not saying it won't but not convinced. Curious?
I thought the same. Tricoya would have cost more but how much is your time worth if you have to remake and repaint it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
 

ColeyS1

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2009
Messages
4,240
Reaction score
10
The thought of brush painting them is probably worse than actually doing it. Treat yourself to a new album, play it loud and crack on with it !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
 

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Joined
29 Jul 2018
Messages
3,775
Reaction score
569
Location
Pembrokeshire
RogerS":2xkeu2nz said:
The best I can think up is some sort of rack suspended over a very large drip tray. Dunk each of them one by one into a tray full of paint and hang them up to drip the excess paint down onto the drip tray and recycle that paint for dipping the rest.
Don't do that, you'll have terrible runs and thick spots and you'll seriously regret it because it will look awful and patchy.

What are you actually planning on painting them with? I don't know how you like to spray (Upright in a booth?), but I'd be tempted to get a piece of plywood the same size as the ring, drive 4 or more screws into it to support the rings, plop the plywood on top of a couple of sawhorses and paint down onto them from above with the gun set with a very narrow fan with not so much pressure that it's flooding the piece with paint, just a nice even coat. Stick a couple of thin wooden bearers underneath the piece and take it somewhere to dry and repeat.

72 of them is going to be monotonous no matter whichever way you look at it. Especially when you're denibbing them as you will realise that medite loves to go really rough on the exposed edges (just like regular MDF) when it's painted! :lol:
 

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Joined
14 Mar 2013
Messages
4,000
Reaction score
1,084
Location
Edinburgh
well Roger, in answer to your question, I'd paint them with flair, style and panache using a HVLP gun :p

But I would go over the edges first with some body filler after routing the edges and then use the router again to get a nice edge finish that wont turn into the himalayas after spraying on the primer
 

Doug71

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2016
Messages
1,667
Reaction score
338
Location
Yorkshire
ColeyS1":7inl5khp said:
doctor Bob":7inl5khp said:
I use ex medite for sink and dishwasher doors.
Will it really hold up exposed outside.
I made a sledge out of it for a sprinkler when my new lawn was seeded and it did split eventually when soaked.

Not saying it won't but not convinced. Curious?
I thought the same. Tricoya would have cost more but how much is your time worth if you have to remake and repaint it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
My sheet supplier doesn't stock exterior mdf anymore, only moisture resistant or Tricoya, they reckon Tricoya is far superior and worth paying the extra for (maybe they just make more money on it).
 

oakfield

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2009
Messages
277
Reaction score
0
Location
East Sussex
I would also HVLP spray them, but I would make a small turntable to put them on, give it a gentle spin and spray them while they spin.
 

RogerS

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2004
Messages
17,391
Reaction score
78
Location
In the eternally wet North
Droogs":1x0l1880 said:
well Roger, in answer to your question, I'd paint them with flair, style and panache using a HVLP gun :p

But I would go over the edges first with some body filler after routing the edges and then use the router again to get a nice edge finish that wont turn into the himalayas after spraying on the primer
Thanks for the suggestions, Droogs, but they've already been made by CNC. However I might run out of flair, style and panache by the time I get to No. 72 :D

Over on TWH2 someone has suggested getting them powder coated.
 

doctor Bob

Established Member
Joined
22 Jun 2011
Messages
4,276
Reaction score
752
Location
Matching Green
Seriously Roger, unless they are extremely well sealed they will fail. My sprinkler sledge started to split after about 4 days.
 

RogerS

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2004
Messages
17,391
Reaction score
78
Location
In the eternally wet North
doctor Bob":3cordtgm said:
Seriously Roger, unless they are extremely well sealed they will fail. My sprinkler sledge started to split after about 4 days.
I take your point, Bob, and am back to thinking about linseed oil paint as I know that that is pretty bullet-proof.
 

ColeyS1

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2009
Messages
4,240
Reaction score
10
If I had to use them I'd put on two coats of dulux aluminium primer to start with. It can be sprayed providing you wear the right mask

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
 

will1983

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2014
Messages
398
Reaction score
3
Location
Crewe
Sprayed definitely and b*gg*r any paint lost to over spray!
The thought of a brush or roller on 72 of these, no thank you!!

I would certainly knock up a little jig with screws to hold them and use a lazy susan.
Give it a spin as you spray, it should only take a few seconds each to spray them with that set up and a narrow fan width.
 

Jonathan S

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2019
Messages
251
Reaction score
9
Location
Monda,Malaga,Spain
Rodger, many years ago when I lived in uk I made up my workshop doors in MR MDF....I painted them with many coats of lead based paint, started to swell after a couple of years, they survived approximately 10 years, but looked terrible.

As Bob said, they will eventually blow.

If I was faced with protecting MDF for exterior I would try a renner water based paint https://www.rennerwoodcoatings.com/ and seal them completely....fit with a polymer silicon and NO mechanical fixing.

My present Iroko window have renner stain and lacquer and is still good after 14 years.

Jonathan



Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
 

Chrispy

Established Member
Joined
10 Aug 2011
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
17
Location
Oxfordshire
Can I please make it clear these are made of Tricoya mdf not exterior mdf I know that as I made them :D :D
 

RogerS

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2004
Messages
17,391
Reaction score
78
Location
In the eternally wet North
Jonathan S":3cy7ffhj said:
Rodger, many years ago when I lived in uk I made up my workshop doors in MR MDF....I painted them with many coats of lead based paint, started to swell after a couple of years, they survived approximately 10 years, but looked terrible.

As Bob said, they will eventually blow.

If I was faced with protecting MDF for exterior I would try a renner water based paint https://www.rennerwoodcoatings.com/ and seal them completely....fit with a polymer silicon and NO mechanical fixing.

My present Iroko window have renner stain and lacquer and is still good after 14 years.

Jonathan



Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Hi Jonathan

I take your point but I'm using External which is much more suited to outside use compared to MR. At least that's my understanding.

I like the link to that manufacturer.
 

RogerS

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2004
Messages
17,391
Reaction score
78
Location
In the eternally wet North
Chrispy":g2yjbibj said:
Can I please make it clear these are made of Tricoya mdf not exterior mdf I know that as I made them :D :D

=D> =D> Oooh.....even better, thanks, Chrispy. I'm being a numpty as I'd used Medite External on the door panels. :oops: I'd forgotten that that was what you recommended. :oops: :oops:
 
Top