How would you go about creating something like this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would purchase a copy of Hilton's "Illustrated Cabinetmaking" from your book-merchant of choice.

This will give you a good understanding of the fundamentals around casework design (why you'd use certain joints and their limitations), as well as showing how a lot of traditional furniture was designed, complete with exploded illustrations like that shown by Lovejoy. Well worth a purchase.
Bill Hylton.
I will second this book. Absolutely marvellous. If you want to make furniture buy this book first, it will answer any questions you might have with construction design.

Making something like that half-decently,£230’ish? A sheet of 12mm ply for the drawers, 18mm for the carcass, poplar frame and features, oak and veneer for the top (+ tools and ability)

Built as per the above
I am two thirds of the way through making a 7 drawer unit in walnut and ash. 4ft6 high, 20 inches deep and 30 inches wide
£120 of walnut, £150 for the ash £80 for veneered ash panels £30 for birch ply for drawer bottoms and about £25 for bits and bobs and finishing so just over £400. total. I could possibly have saved £100 by using cheaper timbers. particularly the walnut

I'm planning on making an oak chest of drawers have the oak flooring previously mentioned. I'm going to buy some 50mm oak for planters and over order and keep the best oak for myself!

45mm should look fine for the posts and rails.

Cheers James

Back