How would you clad an external shed wall with limited access?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christoph

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a keen DIYer, but 100% self-taught, so assume I know nothing.

I'd like to clad a 3m square gazebo I made (possibly to close it in and convert to summer house), but on 2 of the sides there's only about 30cm gap against walls or fences.

On the inside I was going to clad tongue and groove, but what should I do on the outside? They should stay relatively dry from direct weather, but I'm expecting I need some kind of external wall so I can provide some basic insulation. Doesn't feel right to slide some plywood sheets down the side, but not sure what else I could do, and I'm not sure how I'd fix them to the stud frame that I build?

Any ideas? Also, once again, assume I know very little.

Thanks all. Hope to be part of the community a lot more.

Chris

I assume the gazebo has square posts at each corner.

It should be possible to make up the studwork to fit inside the posts with the external panels fixed to the studwork before it is fixed in position.

From the inside you can then install insulation and T&G.

If necessary you would be able to put a bead of sealant on the outside edges where they join the corner posts.

You may need to do this in two or three panels on each side as you would otherwise have a 3m panel to lift and fix (ok if you have help)

sounds like a job for steel panels.....most building sideing panels are around 25-35 deep on the upstand section.....
need t check with the new panels first.....
wood framing in side for fixing.....
at a push u could use 8x4 galv sheets o.5mm would be fine an light enoug to handle (slipping them in from the back....
loads'a ways to fix them.....obv not screws as theres no room but the weight supported on the lower edge u could use
a polyester adheisive of even no nails.....
if u went that route be good to put some insulation between the outside/inside panels......
like u say built just a little to tight to other structures.....
when proper siding panels were to expensive (BY comparrison) on my Honey shed I used the flat galv sheets as I bought a job lot.....

As folks said I think you need to make up a full panel that you can slide in and fix from the other side. A picture would help if what you’re starting with.

F.

i was a bit confused by the studwork suggestion at first, but if you are meaning essentially making up a flatpack style shed wall, walking it into place then screwing the frame of the shed wall to the gazebo from the inside that makes sense to me. I'm wondering what is happening at ground level?

Thanks everyone, this is perfect. I’ve got 4 inch posts at the corners and at the halfway points along each length. So I’ll be able to make up <1.5m stud walls and clad the outside before I put them in place as you say. Clever!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this.

Back