How would this be laid out. . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
Not using a computer, but using a pair of compasses.

OG.jpg

It is on top of a dresser, and is symetrical in the X axis. To me it looks like a modifed Oghee.

Moving from left to the center, the first round is larger than the hollow it joins and then becomes a point.
The next round is higher that the first round and the finishes at the lowest point is just above the shoulder on the left.

I've tried drawing it with grids, circles and mixtures, to no luck.

Anyone able to shed some light on how to do it the analogue way.

(Sorry if this is better suited to design forum)

Attachments

• OG.jpg
    OG.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 18
What are you trying to achieve?

If just a simple replica you could trace around it and transfer that. If you want to 'lay it out' you would need to find the centres of the curves by assuming they are (part) circles and using the 'disecting two chords' method. It could have started out based on circles but been modified by the maker to get a nicer flow?

I did think about a French curve, then thought there must be a way to sort it without a fc.

I am looking to replicate the design but on a smaller scale.

You know how wide you want it the whole thing to be, so divide up the space to give you the width of one set of curves, just draw it freehand till it’s as you want it, cut it out and draw round it. It’s much simpler than I think you imagine it to be. Ian

I am looking to replicate the design but on a smaller scale.
OK, I used to do this many, many years ago when I was doing my A levels. If you look online there will be many free books (eg Internet Archive) on technical/engineering drawing and look for 'Scaling' It's been too long for me to remember the specifics but it is something fairly easy to do. You can either trace that (if it's yours?) and scale from the tracing or print out the picture and scale off that.

I think what cabinetman said, is you make it symmetrical by laying one side out on something else, cut it out and copy round it than flip it over and copy for the other side. At least, that's what I'd do.

It is mine.

So I think I'll take a picture face on, then draw round it using the PC so I can then scale as much as I want.

I was more curious as to how to lay it out by hand.

However I'd also like to replicate it.

Beat you to it.
Here's my effort:-
curve.JPG

Circle Radius..... X....... Y
A......... 1.53...... 2.71....... -1.9
B......... 2.34...... 4.45......... 0.59
C.......... 2.13....... 6.66........ -2.48
D......... 2.43........ 8.92........ 1.56
E......... 1.14......... 9.21........ 0.33

Based on the length from top left corner to centre being 10 units

Brian

Edit Had to put the dots in the table to make it readable

Thanks Brian. Just, totally lost for words. I may as well be looking at alien technology. And your edit, well of course, that really made all the difference. Haha
I’m really sorry if that sounded critical. I know It’s my fault I can’t understand it, isn’t it wonderful how our brains work in different ways. Ian

Not using a computer, but using a pair of compasses.

View attachment 95291

It is on top of a dresser, and is symetrical in the X axis. To me it looks like a modifed Oghee.

Moving from left to the center, the first round is larger than the hollow it joins and then becomes a point.
The next round is higher that the first round and the finishes at the lowest point is just above the shoulder on the left.

I've tried drawing it with grids, circles and mixtures, to no luck.

Anyone able to shed some light on how to do it the analogue way.

(Sorry if this is better suited to design forum)
How about clamping a board underneath and using a pantograph - a drawing device to copy,enlarge or reduce a pattern. You could fix the pantograph to the board and add some card/paper on which to draw and your good to go.

maybe I'm making this far too simple but all I see is an "S" shape that someone laid out for the first pair of curves..lifted it up and moved it slightly to the right and added the second pair of curves slightly offset and then flipped all of that through 180 vertically to complete the full set of curves...
In essence then, a simple "S" constructed with a compass (if you wish) to the required scale could then be plonked onto a suitable length of pattern material and cut around, moved to its next location for the second set of cuts and after those finally flipped over to produce the final mirrored set of cuts and then your pattern is ready to go...assuming of course you're content to use a router to whizz around a template to get the job done..

Had a quick look this morning but there's too much info to wade through. The nearest I could find to illustrate the method is on this web page - second image down (above the clowns) - you are basicly using a vanishing point (as in perspective) to scale the plane image down.

Thanks Brian. Just, totally lost for words. I may as well be looking at alien technology. And your edit, well of course, that really made all the difference. Haha
I’m really sorry if that sounded critical. I know It’s my fault I can’t understand it, isn’t it wonderful how our brains work in different ways. Ian
If you take the O as your start point (origin) and using circle A as an example - the radius is obvious, X ( the horizontal axis) will be the number of units from O and Y (the vertical axis) will be either positive if the centre of the circle is above the line (X axis) and negative if it's below the line (or on the line if Y is zero). The values used are just the unit of measurement you use - inches,mm, lightyears.......

Circle A has a radius of 1.53 units. It is 2.71 units along the X axis (horizontal line) and its centre is 1.9 units below the X axis (which is in effect a negative value on the Y axis ). The same rules apply to all the other circles - that's why you get positive and negative numbers in the Y axis

Hope that clears that up <lol>

You often find curves in joinery are based on standard sizes, the smaller ones being WD40 can size then working up through the different sizes of paint tins, or whatever they had handy to draw around at the time 🙂
You didn't mention inside and outside of gaffer tape. (sorry to muddle topics)

Thanks for all the info.

I laid out using the diagram Yojevol provided and twaeking a bit.

Laid out using a template then cut out by hand.

Took a while but the effect I was looking for.

Thanks.

Just adding the pic of the final result. It is symmetrical if you look at it from the front, the pic was taken from the side.

Curves.jpg

Rather than create a template and flip it over, I drew the profile either side of the centre line.
Gaps at the back are now gone as the top has been fitted.

Cheers

Back