How well does a Collet reducer work?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
I have a 1/2" router and have a few bits that are 1/4". There are times when I need to use the smaller bits. I don't want to buy a 1/4" collet for my router, if I can help it. I was wondering if the collet reducers are effective.

What has your experience been?
Do they slip or have poor grip?
Do they grip the smaller bit so tightly that it can't then be separated?

Which ones to avoid and which ones are recommended.

Please share your thoughts.

I have used one from time to time (I have a small number of 1/4" bits). Never had any issue with slipping or being unable to remove it. Don't recall where it came from, wealdon probably.

If you use a reducer and you buy a good one it will work well. However it has a single cut to allow compression while a collet has 4 cuts so will grip the bits more correctly. So on that basis you have to judge the numbers of times you will use it with the smaller bits.

If memory serves when I bought my Makita plunge router in the early 80’s it came with a 1/4” and a 3/8” bushing to use smaller bits. I used them a few times and they worked fine but in the end getting a little trim router was the way to go. See if the maker of your router has them as an accessory then you have a pretty good idea they will work.
Pete

I've used reducers on many occasions without a problem. The 4 slit versions are obviously better than the 2, or even 1, slit varieties. Wealden do a good range but they also have a Makita collet for little more cost than a sleeve, but check with them before buying.
Brian

When I bought my Denford CNC Router I asked the previous owner if there was a ½" collet (he'd advertised it with 2 - 6mm & a ¼") to which he said 'No'. A bit disappointed but made the purchase anyway (at a discount). When I got it home the first thing I found was that there were THREE ½" collets and one ¼" -- the three ½" were all fitted with reducers! .

Since I also have metalworking facility I set about making new 'sleeves' so I now have 8, 10 & 12mm which work perfectly. The potential problems have been mentioned by @ Yojevol - the number of relief 'slits' is important. With the 10 & 12mm I made, only one was needed since the wall thickness is only 1mm & 0.35mm but with the 8mm I cut 3. Only one was cut through of course the others stopping short by 1mm (ish).

It turned out that the supplied ¼" collet was broken so I also made a ¼" sleeve with 4 slits. As you'll see from the attached image I wasn't particularly careful when cutting the slits on that! :mad:

I considered making a 1/8" but decided that a dedicated 'holder' with a ½" shaft would be a better option and I've since made a 4mm holder in the same fashion.
small tool holder.png
collet reducers.png

I've never had any problem with 'slippage' and I've used these a great deal over the past 6 months.

Last edited:
Back