How was Harrogate then??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
C'mon guys what was it like today?. Got me pennies saved up for tomorrow if there is anything left :(
Steve

Pretty much the same as usual except it was much more
crowded than usual.Some good wood turning going on but
couldn't get near.
Willy

Yup, it was busy, though it thinned down mid after noon.

Really enjoyed meeting up with old friends, some excellent turners demo`ing & a few deals to be had \:D/

All in all an excellent show, hope you enjoy it as much as Modernist & I did Steve.

Cheers.

Only spent £4 on a couple of files and a router cutter :shock: :shock: Doug kindly handled the files on his spinney thing on the way home. Thanks Doug (and the router spindle is 1/2")

There was plenty of kit to look at and some good demo's. I've never seen it so busy but the average age was well past retiring (unlike me of course :lol: )

It is a good show but was very busy, I can only get round on a wheel chair so it was difficult to see so0me of the stalls. I enjoyed the show generally but was disappointed I could not get near the demo workshops. As usual I came away having spent too much but got almost all on my shopping list. Roll on the next one.
Don in sunny but cold Lancashire.

Well thats me on bread and jam for the forseeable :D Got a new Camvac with collection system,chisels,dvd`s etc etc.......
Another very good show at Harrogate. Got in the wrong queue at start stood with all the folk waiting to pay when I already had me ticket and could have walked straight in (homer) Doh! Looking forward to watching Nick`s new dvd.
Steve

I went of Friday ... VERY VERY busy first thing, but thinned out significantly within an hour or two. Some of it much the same ... but some regulars missing, and some changed ... Phil Irons without a single bit of blue metal for instance and The Tool Room not present with any heavy metal either ... a marker of the economics of Stirling v's $AU and the Euro I think? Also, marked lack apparent (to me at least, maybe I missed them) of the "show discounts" I've seen previously ... if you had in mind a number of purchases and saved them for the show, you could refund your ticket/fuel/etc costs and more ... this year seemed mostly list-price for everything ... would have been (and I saved quite a few notes for later) better to go for the post-free bargains off the net.

Did pick up a couple of nice bits of yew from English Hardwoods though ... and a couple of big/heavy scraper blades from Ashley Isles (with tangs thrown in for free) ... I want MUCH longer handles (50-60 cms rather than about 30) for deeper/bigger bowl work (especially after a nasty accident a year or so ago where a dig working a long way off the rest with a "standard" short handle lost control ... I could have permanently trashed 2 fingers on my left hand!) ... why don't they have long handles like the hollowing tools ... or equally, why no bowl scraper blades for these multi-tool handles?

Today (Saturday) seemed a little quieter than usual and one of the security said it was much quieter than yesterday. It was always possible to see the demos

I didn't notice, but Toolpost weren't there and they usually are.

It was noticeable that a lot of the turning demos involved colouring combined carving or colouring on it's own.

I bumped into Walter and when I mentioned seeing his book he said sales had been good :) I had a quick look through on the stand and it seemed to be good. I don't really do pens though so not for me...

That's about it really. Not many offers so I just bought everything on my list and nothing extra.

Yes pretty pleased with the stuff I got, got a very good deal on the Camvac and easily got me ticket price back. Had a chat with Phil Irons about where his viccy's were and he said he can`t seem to shift em these days because of the Ozzy/UK price difference as well as some price increases. I noticed my own vic has gone up a grand in 18months :shock: :shock: . Think I could have gone back a second day if the pockets had been a bit deeper :) . I tried a few times to checkout Mark Bakers demo`s but couldn`t get near which was a shame. On the whole better than last year.
Steve

I was there on Friday. I agree with what`s been said - I`ve never seen it so busy. You could hardly move at one stage and I too found it hard to get near some of the demonstrators. Towards the end of the afternoon I managed to catch Mark Baker`s two piece hollow form demo. He`s a very accomplished demonstrator and besides explaining techniques, he passed round quite a selection of hollowing tools for us to look at. Mind you, he did have the advantage of more elbow room to work in than the others.
I was hoping to compare a few drill presses, as I want to upgrade mine, but didn`t see much of interest in that respect.
There seemed to be more stalls having little to do with woodworking this year too.
Agreed that there were few bargains, but that didn`t stop me splashing the cash (or plastic, to be more precise). No more spending for a while for me :(
I think there`s more for turners than other woodies (which can`t be bad :D ) and the amount of piercing, colouring, carving etc being done was really noticeable, as already said.

Ian

Latest posts

Back