How warm is your workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnf

Established Member
Reaction score
I spent 6 hours in the workshop today working on my latest project

Temperature outside 0 degrees with a windchill of -3
Inside a very acceptable 16 degrees.

The facts
Workshop walls 225mm brick with internal lining of 25mm celotex and 11mm osb
Ceiling has 50mm celotex with 12.5 plasterboard
Windows are sealed unit dg and doors are tight fitting so not to many drafts.

The economics
Heat was supplied by a 3 kwt fan heater running continuously

Costs
Fan heater 6 hrs at 3 kwt =18 kwt @ 13p =£2.34

Credit
My solar pv array made 12.6 kwts today @ 43p = £5.41 giving me a profit of £3.07

So with a toasty workshop and a net profit I a happy bunny :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

The fan heater maintained 16 degrees all day

Hmmm, i have a 5x3m single skin block wall shed, the roof is a single pitch joists board and felt - no insulation, no heater. so its pretty cold. i really should insulate the roof and get a heater. what kind of heaters would anyone recomend for a shed that size?

3deg C :( Brick built commercial space with insulation and double glazing. Im looking at similar heating costs but to keep mine warm the heating needs to be on 24 hours. Its currently off as its costing a fortune.

johnf":1bct84q6 said:
Credit
My solar pv array made 12.6 kwts today @ 43p = £5.41 giving me a profit of £3.07
Hmm - I'm lucky to get 10 kWhr a day at the moment. But at least the panels don't have 17" snow cover as at this time last year :)

The joys of the sunny south - still, when we have 20 hours daylight in June, maybe we can overtake.

My nice big woodburner kept my workshop nice and toastie all day - burning waste offcuts stored during the year so effectively free heat -I like free! :mrgreen:

I work in a wooden shed, moved in three years back first year 1 calor heater, no insulation, my bottle of squash froze solid and my cup of coffee!!!
Now I have insulated the roof, I use a convector heater and it stays at around 10-12 c which is comfy.
Going outside is a shock though. We are on top of a hill with a 40 mile view. Damn cold.

22 degrees.

I stayed in the house in my "inside workshop" (my son's ex-bedroom). Tarted up a Hobelfix vise to sell to clear some space and then flattened all my waterstones....

No shavings of course (working on that)....but nice and snug.

All I need now is a TV in there to watch Poirot re-runs and I might just stay in there all summer! :mrgreen:

Jim

Don't know how warm in degrees C, but its T shirt order. Walls are 4" of fiber glass (or modern day equivalent) with a 6mm osb covering, roof 4" of polystyrene and floor 2" polystyrene. small 1.5 kw heater with a built in timer keeps the place warm enough for me.

We have a bit of a cold snap here , this week has been down to -25C at night and at best -15 daytime so havent bothered with the workshop.Is closed down for the month I think.
My house is toasty warm though with the log fire roaring away, just what you need with a nice glass of local wine.

Well I thought that would get you going the secret is plenty of insulation in hindsight I wish I had used thicker celotex never skimp on the insulation

by the way the workshop is 27ft x 15ft so a resonable size

I have a large uninsulated workshop, 1500 sq ft high roof, openm eaves etc, so I built a 'shelter' inside it, 4.8mtrs long, 3.6mtrs wide and 2.4 mtrs high, and clad it with 25mm celotex. 2 x 2Kw fan heaters to warm it up to 15-20C (depending on how hard I am working) then 1 to maintain required temperature, turning off occasionaly. When I have to go out into the maim workshop (-2) I can stay out for a few minutes, do what I need to do, then duck back inside.

Today it was -3 degrees. The walls of my shed are approx. 3/64" thick steel, with no insulation, no heating and no kettle :( After 7 hours I couldn't feel my nose, my fingers or my toes.

chunkolini said:
I work in a wooden shed, moved in three years back first year 1 calor heater, no insulation, my bottle of squash froze solid and my cup of coffee!!!
Now I have insulated the roof, I use a convector heater and it stays at around 10-12 c which is comfy.
Going outside is a shock though. We are on top of a hill with a 40 mile view. Damn cold.
So you just did the roof and that helped? what did you insulate with?

The only downside of too much insulation is that when the hot weather does finally get here, the 'shop can get hotter and sweatier than the inside of a Turkish wrestlers jockstrap :lol: I've got a well insulated 'shop but unheated, as it was today (I wasn't in it as I was doing other stuff) it never got above 0degC. I've put the 1.5KW oil fired rad on a timer for tomorrow at 6am, so that by the time I get out there after brekki it should be tolerable. I've also got a 1KW convector heater to give it a bit of a boost if need be. The worst thing about the cold weather though is that the glue doesn't go off and as I've got a load of veneering to do, it's a bit difficult to get a 7' AirPress vacuum bag into the house :( - Rob

woodbloke":1watqmdx said:
The only downside of too much insulation is that when the hot weather does finally get here, the 'shop can get hotter and sweatier than the inside of a Turkish wrestlers jockstrap :lol: I've got a well insulated 'shop but unheated, as it was today (I wasn't in it as I was doing other stuff) it never got above 0degC. I've put the 1.5KW oil fired rad on a timer for tomorrow at 6am, so that by the time I get out there after brekki it should be tolerable. I've also got a 1KW convector heater to give it a bit of a boost if need be. The worst thing about the cold weather though is that the glue doesn't go off and as I've got a load of veneering to do, it's a bit difficult to get a 7' AirPress vacuum bag into the house :( - Rob

I have had a few issues with glue the past week.

-1 this morning.

I thought about getting a stove, but something about a wood burning stove inside a wooden shed doesn't sit right with me. Having said that, there'd be plenty of fuel for it

I have a 16'x8' wooden workshop with 4" insulation in the walls and roof. 1.5Kw oil-filled radiator which is set on the frost-stat setting. It's usually 5 degs above the outside temp and doesn't fall below 5degs. Using the saw or P/T and the large vac, the temp creeps up nicely.

I've been in the workshop all day ripping Oak boards to make Parquet flooring ,temp inside around 16c and 20c outside ......but i am in the south of Spain :D ...Forecast for Sat night -7 :cry:

WooHoo! First post! Novice woodworker here, just started picking it up again 25 years after Woodwork class in school.

10' x 8' wooden shed is my workshop, way up in the Frozen Northern Tundras of Scotland.

Thought about insulation at the start of winter but couldn't afford it really. Yesterday evening it was -3 in there, but wearing gloves and a padded shirt worked well. . . for a while.

A 400w halogen lamp counts as heating, right? :wink:

Back