How warm is your workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simocco asks how I insulated my roof.
Shed zeppelin is 28x22 feet so quite a space. It is probably the cheapest structure possible, 15mm tongue and groove with a roof of corrugated plastic stuff 'well ventilated. We lagged the roof with ordinary rockwool off the roll, a mate had a huge pile of it going spare, just pushed it between the battens that hold the roof in place (name does not spring to mind) and held it in place by screwing panels of hardboard to the battens. Made an amazing difference and to my surprise the hard board has not fallen to pieces. I also mastic most of the windows shut for the winter. It does get hot in summer but that is what doors and windows are for and I have an extractor fan.
Wifey and I did the whole roof over two days, a horrible itchy scratchy job, and not one cross word between us.
Definitely worth the effort.

Attachments

• newhome.JPG
    newhome.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 58
Meanwhile, in Finland...

Outside temperature this morning was -32.5 degrees Celsius.
Inside the garage (which has seen a car inside it ONCE during 6 years) - +11 degrees Celsius. But, it could be +18 degress Celsius, if I wanted it to be that, but I'm trying to save some electricity (as it's darn expensive). The +11 degrees seems quite Ok working temperature and at least for me the +20 tends to get too hot if I work with hand tools or do lots of planing/thicknessing.

The insulation for me is;
- 25 mm wood fibre board (windshield)
- 125 mm fiber glass insulation board
- 50 mm fiber glass insulation board (in different direction)
= total of 200 mm insulation on the walls.

Roof has 100 mm of fibre glass board + 300 mm blown fibre glass on top of that, so total of 400 mm of insulation.

chunkolini said:
Simocco asks how I insulated my roof.
Shed zeppelin is 28x22 feet so quite a space. It is probably the cheapest structure possible, 15mm tongue and groove with a roof of corrugated plastic stuff 'well ventilated. We lagged the roof with ordinary rockwool off the roll, a mate had a huge pile of it going spare, just pushed it between the battens that hold the roof in place (name does not spring to mind) and held it in place by screwing panels of hardboard to the battens. Made an amazing difference and to my surprise the hard board has not fallen to pieces. I also mastic most of the windows shut for the winter. It does get hot in summer but that is what doors and windows are for and I have an extractor fan.
Wifey and I did the whole roof over two days, a horrible itchy scratchy job, and not one cross word between us.
Definitely worth the effort.

Cheers - id like mates like yours with free insulation!

Simocco
My workshop is a in a great spot. the landlord is a capitalist farmer who will make money any way he can. He has about 30 people living on the farm in anythng from benders to caravans. An ex tenant turned up with a van load of insulation and said free to whoever wants it, then another guy gave me the hardboard to go with it. They are all mad hippies, a lot of them blacksmith students at the local college, so I have have good company when I need a break from talking to myself.
Another plus, my electricity is not metered.

My workshop is reasonably well insulated, however I've given up working there in the evenings as it just takes too long to warm up for what is often only 30-60 minutes of work. At this time of year I only use it at weekends when I'm going to be in there for a lot longer, however as my main project at the moment is a 21 foot boat, and the workshop is only 18 feet long, I'm forced to do much of the work outside!

While it's really cold I use my workshop at work instead, it's always warm in there and I tend to get more done anyway, at home I keep getting called back indoors for odd jobs every half hour! I'll carry on like this until spring, making components in the warm that can be fitted when the weather warms up.

Back