How toxic is todays Danish oil?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur

Established Member
Reaction score
I've used Danish oil for many years.
Application on the last couple of projects from new tins of Rustins Danish oil have resulted in a sore throat and tight chest even with minimum exposure and lots of ventilation.
Tonight I downloaded their safety data sheet and find some of the ingredients cause the symptoms I've been experiencing.
Methylethyl ketamine and cobalt 6 that make up the mixture don't give me a warm feeling to be honest....
I've never had these problems before so I wonder if the mix has changed.?
I'm specifically looking for some protective breathing masks but is it just my sensitive system or is anyone else experiencing exposure problems?

No two danish oils from different companies are the same, they are all different blends of different things. It wouldn't surprise me if any given company will change their recipe regularly.
As to what's in rustins' variant, I hope you mean methyl ethyl ketoxime, as ketamine is a powerful drug! ;)

Getting a respirator is definitely important when dealing with high solvent products, especially if you're being that affected by it!
Also look for finishes that say "Low VOC" as that will help too.

Using anything with solvents/chemicals needs to be done in a well ventilated space and usually says so on the container. Open the windows or rig up an extractor fan. You would need a very good mask indeed to protect you in a closed up gas chamber.
Regards
John

Yes you’re right there are virtually no masks that will work, you definitely need a respirator type - the sort with disc filters. Ian

Back