How to wreck a bandsaw blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I was puzzled by the screech that suddenly developed when using a new Dure Edge blade on some walnut. At first sight, it seemed as though the blade guides had jammed on the blade but after checking everything was OK, I decided I just had an 'ornery bit of wood and carried on. The screech stopped after a while too. When I finished the cut I saw why things had developed as they did...

Cut-Nail!.jpg

This nail was completely embedded in the wood with no external signs of its existence at all and with umpteen rings between it and the outside of the tree. I had sawn pretty much along the length of the nail.

Now my bandsaw blade does not cut as well as it used to :cry:

So you're saying those Dure edge blades cut metal as well? :lol:
They must be good!
Seriously, how much had you cut before you hit the nail? What did you think of the blade, will you be ordering another?
Here's my best "Nail" story.......
I was born in south Wales and lived on the edge of a wood. My friends and I used to play "Star Wars" in the trees and proudly turned our fave tree into the "millenium falcon" by knocking in hundreds of nails as panels, etc... (yes I know what you're thinking, little b#####ds!) .Some (read many) years later, I now live on the South coast. My Dad called me to say he was cutting down some trees in the back garden would I like some oak? Being a bit of a fair weather turner I said Yup!
2/3's of the way through a lovely oak bowl there was a bang and it disintigrated-yes, there 20 years later were the nails I had knocked into the trees. Talk about getting my own back :shock:
Cheers,
Philly

Hi Philly,

At a wild guess I'd say Chris cut from the top of the picture to the.........
Sorry, just taking the p.
Poetic justice on the nails in the tree business.
Come to think of it I've nothing really constructive or interesting to say today (so what's new?..), public holiday over here.

Rgds

Noel

Chris, I think this is bringing the dure edge blades to the very top of the list if I ever shop of a bandsaw blade :D

Philly, ahhahahahahhahahahhahaha
sorry for the damage to your tools.

Noely, Hope you enjoyed the long WE. The weather was much better up north, well at least it was in Donegal.

Was in Port Na Blagh and Dunfanaghy on Sunday, great weather.

Rgds

Noel

Philly,

The blades was about two days old - can't have cut more than 20 or so feet before my little accident - which I would rather have had than a rotating mass of wood explode in my face!

Yes, I'll buy Dure edge again, not their fault I used the wrong blade for cutting metal!

Chris,

Your nail cutting episode reminded me that I should get myself a metal detector as I use a lot of reclaimed / skip supplied timber.
Any suggestions? I've only seen the lumber wizard type (Rutlands - "Without doubt this is the finest....."). Anybody know of any other models.

Rgds

Noel

Is that parrot healthy?...

Yes thought of a wire/pipe /stud finder, but do they work??? or work well??
Anybody got hands on experience of such devices?

Rgds

Noel

Noely":3r3o63k4 said:
Is that parrot healthy?...
YES. Distressingly so. You should see the way he hares across the floor in a bid to eat my footwear. :roll:

Edit: That is, when he's not chewing on my wooden leg of course... :wink:

Noely":3mkx5kr5 said:
Yes thought of a wire/pipe /stud finder, but do they work??? or work well??
Anybody got hands on experience of such devices?
Hi Noely
Yep this is what I use. Every so often I use reclaimed timbers and I scan them with the metal detector bit of these 3-in-1 gadgets.
It works OK in that it always detects the metal, but it can be hard to pinpoint where it is!
I would like to buy a better one such as the Rutlands type, but for occasional use, the 3-in-1s are suitable.

Aragorn

Cheers all.

As it happens I have one somewhere, so will do a few tests. Planer blades are delicate.

Rgds

Noel

What about those new blades from Duredge-I hear they are pretty good at finding metal in wood............ :lol:
sorry, couldn't resist!
Philly :D

Alf":qmd0mtw2 said:
You should see the way he hares across the floor in a bid to eat my footwear. :roll:

I see the problem Parrots should be tied to the perch so they don't eat your boots, No, think the quotes wrong somewhere there :roll:

Noely":35ij3kjl said:
Chris,

Your nail cutting episode reminded me that I should get myself a metal detector as I use a lot of reclaimed / skip supplied timber.
Any suggestions? I've only seen the lumber wizard type (Rutlands - "Without doubt this is the finest....."). Anybody know of any other models.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel

I picked up a Stanley unit from B&Q and it was cheap + effective. Detects metal on one setting and studding behind plasterboard on another. Works great

Tony

Cheers Tony,

The one I have isn't as sophisticated as the one you describe - £1.99 from Lidl (you know how it is - might come in handy some day, can't go wrong for that sort of money etc, etc...) and I've never even used it.
Will have a look at the Stanley.

Rgds

Noel

Back