How to work out how far in to cut hinge hole?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ihaveadream

Reaction score
I have some bog standard 35mm hinges from B&Q to hang some wardrobe doors.

I am practicing on some scrap at the moment and want to know what I need to measure from the edge of the board to find where the center hole of my forstner bit should be when I am starting to drill the hole.

The hinges are 35mm diameter and the wood I am practicing on is 18mm thick. How can I figure out where the hole for the hinge should be?

And to that end how do I measure the holes for the mounting plate so that the door will sit almost flush.

Confused .

These are the hinges I have:

https://www.diy.com/departments/nickel- ... 529_BQ.prd

image.jpg
I did a few cabinets last year and bought a plastic hinge marking jig from eBay for about £2 .
You should find the information on the hinge packaging as well - it depends if you're fitting an overlap or inset door.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 200
Don't attempt to position the drill using the centre point, run the drill through a piece of scrap material and then clamp this piece to the back of the door to guide the drill when drilling the doors.

You are doing the right thing practicing on some scrap first.

A good starting point is the hinges 4 mms off edge of door so 21.5 mm off edge to centre of 35 mm hole.

Normally 37 mm back from front edge of frame to centre of holes for mounting plate.

I am guessing those hinges will be for overlay doors so the door will sit in front of the frame not flush within it.

image.jpg

This is a piece of 9mm MDF that I use.
It sits level with the outside edge of the doors

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 204
Thanks everyone I think I have cracked the hole for setting the doors so its on the edge of the door.

I used the 21.5mm measurement as a starting point for the centre of my bit and was able to adjust to get it looking reasonable.

Now I have cracked it on the scrap I will saw it down and use it as a jig. However I only realised thanks to Doug that the edge of the door sits on top of the side walls and not inside it. Unfortunately in my head I imagined the hinges would sit on the inside of the door so the doors that I cut are now too small by about 36mm!

Will have to buy another sheet of ply now. But we live and learn.

Thanks again.

Back