How to watch a Prime video on my tv

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have Virginmedia, a Sony Bravia TV (10 years old) and a PC and I have an Amazon Prime account.
and I want to watch an Amazon prime video on my TV (not on my computer) How do I accomplish this please. I just get lost asking Google.

Thanks for quick reply, you make it sound easy. Looks like another piece of modern junk coming my way. (I could do with a mansion to store all the things of my lifetime)

Hold fire ordering/buying a firestick... :shock:

You say your tv is 10yrs old... first thing you need to do is see if it has 'connectivity' i.e. has it got a suitable socket on the back to plug a firestick into (other devices are available :lol: )

or....

do what i did and ditch the 8yr old 43" Sharp Aquos (was in the lounge then moved to bedroom when we got an all singing all dancing nooo one for the lounge) and get one of these....
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8193706
the remote control has dedicated Amazon, Netfilx and YouTube buttons. So when you set it up you just connect it to your virgin wifi (same as us) and away you go. Dont have any fears about it being a Hisense that you've probably never heard of :shock: (i was dubious too....) do a bit of searching and you'll find they 'make' tv's for lots of known branded names (hammer) and i can confirm the 4K picture quality is stunning..!! =D>

Nick

Thanks Nick, it has got 2 hdmi sockets. I did just now go and had a look at the Prime videos available to watch and I started to cringe at the titles and previews that were showing, I could not get my head around any title that was on offer so I think I will let my Prime membership lapse and pay postage on my Amazon purchases and wait until I get younger. :?

devonwoody":375jjjf7 said:
...... and I started to cringe at the titles and previews that were showing, I could not get my head around any title that was on offer ...

I couldn't agree more with you, DW. The offerings on Prime and Netflix are, for the most part, utterly abysmal and unimaginative. I keep getting offers to take a one month trial. Netflix's user interface is c**p. How they can work out that Sound of Music is in the same category as Reservoir Dogs is beyond me. (OK..I made up those examples but the core message is there). I can see that within, say, ten years if not before, that DVDs will be gone as will cinemas. Society will have resolved down to staring at a tiny screen and oblivious to anyone else in the world. Oh, unless they are on a Faecebook/Twatter meaningless page.

I resolutely refuse to get out of the way of anyone walking towards me with their head down, staring at a tiny screen. I've not forgotten my rugby shoulder-drop.

RogerS":7vmr7qez said:
devonwoody":7vmr7qez said:
...... and I started to cringe at the titles and previews that were showing, I could not get my head around any title that was on offer ...

I couldn't agree more with you, DW. The offerings on Prime and Netflix are, for the most part, utterly abysmal and unimaginative. I keep getting offers to take a one month trial. Netflix's user interface is c**p. How they can work out that Sound of Music is in the same category as Reservoir Dogs is beyond me. (OK..I made up those examples but the core message is there). I can see that within, say, ten years if not before, that DVDs will be gone as will cinemas. Society will have resolved down to staring at a tiny screen and oblivious to anyone else in the world. Oh, unless they are on a Faecebook/Twatter meaningless page.

I resolutely refuse to get out of the way of anyone walking towards me with their head down, staring at a tiny screen. I've not forgotten my rugby shoulder-drop.

I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime (mainly for the PP)

I very rarely even look at Amazon Prime video, nothing ever interests me.

Netflix suffers from the quantity over quality issue. Lots of content, but its mostly junk. Although every now and then, there are some gems in there.

I use google cast throughout the house, works with Prime and anything else I throw at it including audio only devices.

devonwoody":17yb2bia said:
I could not get my head around any title that was on offer....

What do you mean when you say 'on offer'..?

We've watched some really good new(ish) films recently =D> The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, The Post, Hampstead, John Wick, John Wick2 (ok so the last two were for me :lol: )
Find or search for something you like, then click watch trailer. If it then says 'watch now' its included in Prime, if is says rent/buy... then walk on by...

Number 2 son has Netflix so both his household and mine and number 1 son's can all piggyback onto his subscription.
So it's free to me but even so it's generally just carp, spend more time looking for something to watch than watching it. And thus we have pretty much forgotten we have it.
As said above, quantity rather than quality.

NikNak":1mv44k80 said:
We've watched some really good new(ish) films recently =D> The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, The Post, Hampstead, John Wick, John Wick2 (ok so the last two were for me :lol: )
Find or search for something you like, then click watch trailer. If it then says 'watch now' its included in Prime, if is says rent/buy... then walk on by...

LOL...loved the reviews for The Guernsey Literary...you old softie, you :wink:

The movie is comfort food through and through, as wholesome and predictable as a Sunday roast and as sickly sweet as sticky toffee pudding.

I don't agree at all about Netflix! I commute an hour each way to my business by train, and I watch Netflix on my iPhone every day. There is a huge choice of great quality programming. If you re willing to be open minded and watch say Spanish language series - available with English sub titles - then there is a lot of material. For example: The Heist, Mar de Plastico, Elite and the Turkish production Kurt Seyit and Sura.

I regard Amazon films as an adjunct to the Prime delivery service, which more than pays for itself.

If devonwoody would not mind the off topic, can anyone else Recommend stuff on Netflix.
We watched mar de plastico and as you say it was excellent, even though there was graphical sex in each episode that had nothing to do with the plot!

lurker":372vdlur said:
We watched mar de plastico and as you say it was excellent, even though there was graphical sex in each episode that had nothing to do with the plot!

Sounds good to me :oops:

AJB Temple":1n4uhey2 said:
I don't agree at all about Netflix! I commute an hour each way to my business by train, and I watch Netflix on my iPhone every day. There is a huge choice of great quality programming. If you re willing to be open minded and watch say Spanish language series - available with English sub titles - then there is a lot of material. For example: The Heist, Mar de Plastico, Elite and the Turkish production Kurt Seyit and Sura.

I regard Amazon films as an adjunct to the Prime delivery service, which more than pays for itself.

I'm sure there are some good films there but as another poster said - it's quantity over quality. For every one film that looks promising, there's another 99 that are not. The descriptions are insufficient to give any indication as to what the film is really about.

The fact that they got rid of the rating system tells you all you need to know :)

Everything would have 1 star :p

lurker":2tk503ri said:
If devonwoody would not mind the off topic, can anyone else Recommend stuff on Netflix.

Do you have the times of the ..ahem..'interesting bits' ?

Roku Express £30 - 1080p HD
Roku Streaming Stick £60 - 1080p HD, 4K Ultra HD, and HDR
- https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products

These use your internet connection to stream Freeview & Subscription channels to your tv.
TV requires 1 x HDMI & 1 USB socket.

Smart TVs have internet connection capability (wifi & Ethernet) built in so you can connect directly to your service either free or paid.

A Fire Stick might make more sense as it's an Amazon product & it's a little cheaper £25 or £35 for High Definition.

Thanks to all again, this exercise came about because my Prime account is running out and looking at the orders placed with Amazon for free delivery I have decided that the previous non Prime account is probably more economical, the prices of goods are also more expensive at Prime so I am most probably paying delivery charge anyway but loose next day delivery.

Back