How to use this old wire fence tensioner? All the gear and no idea!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krome10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

A while back I picked up an old tensioning tool for stock fencing but haven't had a need to use it... Until now! I'll attach a photo. I can't wrap my head around how to use it, and so far have not been able to find any videos on YouTube using this kind of tool.

Could anyone who knows please explain, or link me to a description / video?

Many thanks

IMG_20220330_124958517.jpg

Yea. you do need the chain with that one. The Hayes company from NZ patented one that allows you to use your fencing wire offcuts as the anchor instead of chain in the early 20C.
Here a picture of it in action tightening some barbed wire.
93032EFF-E613-419A-965E-1D7900C65D3E.png

I wrote a short paragraph about my favourite NZ fencer on this page

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/joke-thread-ii.135856/page-6#post-1560906

Hi K10, I've posted three photos to try to demonstrate how your strainer should grip the wire, which I hope will help. As the others have mentioned you'll need a chain to walk the strainer along.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• IMGP1363.png
    IMGP1363.png
    936.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMGP1364.png
    IMGP1364.png
    849.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMGP1366.png
    IMGP1366.png
    876.4 KB · Views: 17
How tight does fence wire need to be I wonder? I can see that if you were putting up really long lenghts then one of these would be indespensible but for anyone needing to put up a short bit in their garden you can do it useing a scrap of wood as a lever off the top of the post, like you tension chair webbing and it tightens up quite tight enough to hang galvanised mesh on. The kit above is of course in a different league.
Steve.

So sorry - totally forgot to come back to this to say thank you for the help and replies.

It was only a small section of fence that needed repairing after a tree had come down onto it. In the end, the farmer said it did not need to be all that tight, so I just tightened it manually and put the tool away But I will try to get some chain to use with it for when I have larger fencing jobs to do in the future

Cheers

Back