How to use a flat chisel for METALWORK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Erm I am working on a project on how to use a flat chisel for cutting metal not wood work.. Can anyone please give me a discription or erm a website that show how to use it and information on what it is made of and how to use it. Thank you i Hope to hear a reply from you all soon Thank You for spending your time to read my message :)!

From your scinerely

Onewill.!

Urgent..

ALF's reply covers it really.

The thing that takes a bit of getting used to is that fact that you are looking at the point of the chisel, but hitting the other end, so you are not really looking at what you are hitting - requires practice. Expect a couple of bruises on the hand holding the chisel to start with!

Once you get the hang of it, it is actually quite surprising how good a finish you can produce.

Good luck.

True about knocking your hands with the hammer. Always worth considering getting a chisel with a guard like this:

p2605299_l.jpg

Andrew

Yes - but where's the sense of adventure in that? :?

It would be like riding your mountain bike with stabilisers on! :shock: :D

Actually, once you have walloped your hand a couple of times, it is amazing how quickly you learn not to!!!

All you need to do is set the chisel up and watch the end you are hitting, as an alternative position yourself so that you can observe all that is going on. :D

I have found that the sissy guards are a menace in use :wink:

Bean

Thank you for all your replys.! erm hope to hear more replys soon! haha good website i will go check it out :) thanks for all support!

Aah!, the joy of chiselling when I was a first year apprentice :roll: . But we first had to make the chisel. :wink:

Latest posts

Back