How to use a ceramic flattening stone???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keefaz

Established Member
Reaction score
I've some waterstones that have been quite abused, but I'm sure there's still life left in 'em. I've picked up an Ice Bear ceramic stone to flatten them out, but wondering if there's a particular technique I should be using?

Lots of water and rubbing. No special technique.

Would be worth checking that the ceramic flattening stone is actually flat before you start though - I've read somewhere that people have found ones that are a smidgen banana-ish. Ask for a replacement or your money back if it is out of flat. A good quality steel rule on edge and a strong light source behind should tell you all you need to know.

Keefax,

ref flattening a water stone.
Have you tried a medium grade sanding belt? Opened up, and stuck down to a piece of Melamine covered MDF (25mm thick works fine, but thicker the better of course). That's plenty flat enough, and It doesn't take many minutes to flatten a water-stone. (Do it dry)

It's also cheap as Frenched Potatoes!

:wink:

As previously mentioned, the flattening plates are rarely flat.

Also the wear in use and lose flatness, whereupon they have to be flattened, with something like the method described.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Back