How to upholster!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I class myself as a grade U in upholstering!

So, say i had a wooden chair waiting to to be upholstered, what kind of padding should i use? I want to achieve leather patchwork type look on some dining chairs...

I say this because i went into a lovely shop where they sell hand made furniture, and there was a b-e-a-utiful table and chairs...now-i could make the table but the chairs, i don't have the faintest!

Any help or suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated!!

Ta

Tom

Also, where do you buy real leather from?? :?

Tom - take care, this could be the start of a very slippery slope. I went to evening classes to learn how to reupholster some very straightforward dining chairs and only left five years later when I had done everything in the house that moved, including a three-piece suite.

At first, I thought I would be able to buy a book and follow the instructions but it isn't that simple (what is?). If you can, I would recommend a book in association with either evening classes or 'buying' time at a local upholsterer's workshop (like cabinet making, it is difficult to make a good living at upholstery and some upholsterers either run classes on site or charge by the hour to have someone use a bench).

There are a couple of authors who are recommended. One is Desmond Gaston with 'Upholstery - a Practical Guide' (published by Harper Collins). I can't remember the other but he is usually in the lists of books that are included in GW and F&C.

Sorry - I haven't answered your question, but I hope this helps.

Good luck - Roy

Hi Tom,
My father is an upholsterer in France for the last 20 years. I can assure you this isn't something you can take on without any experience. The traditional way of re-upholstering is just not accessible to anyone untrained. On top of this, should you want to make it the traditional way, the materials involved are not very accessible.
Now just like woodworking, there is the old traditional way of doing it or there is the new fast and furious way, for example: compare a tenon or mortice joint with a butt joint with a screw (like the flat packs!), which one will last longer as well as look better!?

So you could use Foam and fabric directly on it. It will not last half as long but it's something you can attempt without 3 years of apprenticeship in upholstery!!! :wink:
One advice if you go down this road, get the good quality foam. Do some research to find the best provider. An average foam will last no longer than a year before becoming totally soft whereas a high quality foam will last 5 years or more.

If your chairs are simple then the upholstering may not be such a big job, if it's just a seat for instance. Have you got pictures or drawings?

:D

Roy-Thats what i thought i could do, just buy a book...lol...I don't really fancy doing a course, although when i am older i will think about it, but for the amount i will be doing in the next few years, it doesn't seem worth while!!

Thanks anyway you've opened my eyes a bit more :shock: :p

CYC-I would probably prefere the fast way but if it was to look poor then i would deffinatly go traditional! :shock:

Of course i would prefere to do my chairs with springs and the likes but as i said i have no experience whatsoever!

Sorry, i dont have any pictures, the closest is this one by SimonA!

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/gallery/det ... age_id=301

The only major difference is the fabric :p !!!!

Ta

Tom :p

Maybe not in the DIY spirit of this forum, but upholstery is one of those things, like for instance dentistry and air traffic control, that is best left to the professionals unless you want to become an upholsterer yourself.
Upholsterers are accustomed to having people bring in seat bases to have them done professionally. If I was making dining chairs, that is what I would do
John

hi y'all (gosh that sounded too american for my liking :? :oops: )

Martyn-Thanks for the link!

Although i was looking for somewhere, err.. closer to home :p although it has given me a better idea on price... Such as, $59.99 for a square foot of python/cobra/rattlesnake skin :shock: :shock: I never even knew that was legal to sell !!!!

John-Good point, i never realised that it would be such a detailed, difficult job to do, mind you i never really looked into it before!

Thanks for all the help you guys!!

Ta

Tom

Back