How to Strip - an Art Deco Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin dwyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the stripping process, in this case an Art Deco table. The stripper should bubble up fairly quick and look something like the illustrated picture, if this doesn't happen you've probably bought some shops own brand of stripper. I've used a mix of Morrell's and my own favorite choice, nitromors master craftsman. One thing is not to do is be mean with the stripper, use enough to strip the item clean. And be careful. In one of the pics where the table is still wet from the stripper, I've photographed the floor, and on this concrete there is no stripper - that is how careful I am. The blue rubber gloves I'm using are not adequate for a beginner and I've two pair on each hand at this stage.

The final strip down is with some wire wool. After this I've washed the table three times, scrubbing it with a Spontex scourer and soapy water. Wipe off excess water and it'll dry quicker. It's an idea to have the water next to you throughout.

artdecotable1.JPG
ad1.JPG
ad2.JPG
ad5.JPG
ad9.JPG

Attachments

• ad9.JPG
    ad9.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,247
  • ad7.JPG
    ad7.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,246
  • ad5.JPG
    ad5.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,247
  • ad2.JPG
    ad2.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 1,248
  • ad1.JPG
    ad1.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,267
  • artdecotable1.JPG
    artdecotable1.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,264
  • ad10.JPG
    ad10.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,246
What stripper do you use. I have had good results with Paramorse gel type but nothing else I have found is pants as the shops are not allowed to sell the good stuff anymore. Maybe its old stock you have??

I like Nitromors Master Craftsman which is in the yellow packaging but i'ts expensive - £30 is for 2 or 2 1/2 litres, it's very liquid and always works. Used to use the Paramose at the antique restorers that employed me, that was also very thin and came in large drums which we pumped onto the furniture with a stripping machine. Your right there's not much choice really.

Ok, that's wierd banning paint stripper.

Hi Alan,

Hudson Carpentry":2jv0fxnl said:
What stripper do you use. I have had good results with Paramorse gel type but nothing else I have found is pants as the shops are not allowed to sell the good stuff anymore. Maybe its old stock you have??

I agree. The only stripper in the shops today that really works is Paramose.

The link is for the thick one.

Thanks,
Neil

Hi Kevin,

kevin dwyer":1wdcrwbb said:
I like Nitromors Master Craftsman which is in the yellow packaging but i'ts expensive - £30 is for 2 or 2 1/2 litres, it's very liquid and always works. Used to use the Paramose at the antique restorers that employed me, that was also very thin and came in large drums which we pumped onto the furniture with a stripping machine. Your right there's not much choice really.

Is that an old can, pre the new regs that you have?

kevin dwyer":1wdcrwbb said:
Ok, that's wierd banning paint stripper.

The only company that still manufactures stripper to the "old recipe", whilst meeting the new regs, is Paramose and it is also half the price of Nitromors at £25 for 5 ltrs.

Thanks,
Neil

Back