How to store your Russell Jennings bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's never good to see the last one go, but with so many stages needed and so much patient skill, it's no surprise.
I've got my lifetime supply by now so I'm no help at all.

Sheffield Tony":ogw57naw said:
There are plenty of round shanked augers for power drills, but I don't know how they are made, not hand forged I'm sure.

kind of wonder if they are forged and then machined to a finish or if they are just cut from round stock. If the latter, I wouldn't want to try to make them for what they sell for (maybe that's the magic of overseas).

Making the type that clifton was making, tough business. I guess. People over here often scoff at $100-125 for a set of jennings bits because you can find individuals sometimes for $1 at flea market booths, but I think they're a bargain at that if you can get a complete set.

If someone with a CNC lathe comes back making them for $80 each, I'm sure Chris Schwarz will put up a post telling us that we're obligated to support them as he did with imploring people to purchase $160 LN drawknives (drawknives are all over the place here - including where he lives).

I bought large Scotch eye augers made in Japan. They were a single spiral, and looked for all the world like they were cast somehow. Do work well.

possible -- could be investment cast (as with replacement hips, knees and jet engine blades).
I believe Veritas has used such for a few tools

Back