How to Store Wood outside? All Types

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
I am accumulating quite a collection of wood which all needs to be kept safely. I have some very useable offcuts of decking (Brazilian Yellow Balau), some basic lengths of pine and some sheets of chipboard which are all, at the moment, sitting up the side of my house. Most importantly I have some sheet material on order (Birch ply, MDF and Vener Ply).

Here is the catch... I have no internal space to keep this stock. The Sheet material on order is for a cabinet project that will now not get started for at least 3 weeks. Is it best to try to convince LOML that it is essential to keep it inside the (newly decorated) house? If it has to be inside then where is best? The only real place it could go is the (very hot atm) conservatory.

What about the rest of the wood? Is it ok stacked outside? What sort of damage will the wood get out there? Is there something I can do to make it better whilst sitting out there?

Your views much apprecieated. :)

WiZeR":qgwupt64 said:
SNIP...
Is it best to try to convince LOML that it is essential to keep it inside the (newly decorated) house? If it has to be inside then where is best?...
WiZeR...I'm really sorry, but I chuckled a lot about this statement...through taking all the pics and posting them on my web site...

Here's an image looking into our utility room...at the link there's several more pics showing various rooms in the house that either have wood stored or projects in some stage of completion. The pics of point are the ones where 'overran' is in the filename. I even threw in one of the outside stores of wood. It's under the roof of our porch. I keep it under a tarp as one of the piles show, but I was taking wood off one of the piles this morning so it is uncovered. It's been fine right there.

I won't point out who's mess is who's...but some of the wood is my wife's.

overran_0002a.jpg

Only look if you dare...

Yeah, you're gonna lose a lot of friends, Mike! :lol:
Nice haul-but the Missus loves polishing those? :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

wow mike, i'm not sure wether to laugh or cry. I'd never get away with that!! :lol: :wink:

I was thinking about keeping the Hardwood under a tarp up the side of the house. But I'm not sure the sheet material will survive?

Mike! :shock:

I need a long tall glass of something alcoholic to recover from that slideshow.
If ever you were looking for proof that your wife loves you - that's it.

Gill

Hi Philly,

I have friends? When did that happen :lol:

I go through a lot of wood in a year or two. So when I find deals I pick through it all and buy more than I need at the moment. I'd keep it all in the shop (and there's a bunch more in it on the wall) but the raack is full and at 11' by 11' there's just not the room :cry:

Hi WiZeR,

Heck, I cry...I wouldn't get away with it either if it wasn't for the fact my wife is a turner. The quickly built 3-drawer cabinet in the hall closet is part of her wood. As she occassionaly reads this forum, she would shoot me if I took a picture of the walk-in closet in our room...not much room for clothes. And it's her wood...

And then there's the garden shed that has nothing to do anymore with gardening...

But I really wasn't any help for your situation, was I? It just struck a chord in me. Still chuckling.

Anyway, if it wasn't for having the wood up and on a wood deck and a roof over it, the tarps wouldn't help me. They really are there for through the winter to prevent dew from settling and in the summer to keep the sun from beating on it too hard.

If I needed to store the lumber off my porch, I probably would attach a wood rack under the eves of the house (wood rack like the Triton one Philly has. It's what I have in the shop and it seem good), build a small roof that projected past the rack by about 12" and still put a tarp that would cover the wood, going back under the rack as well.

For the sheet goods, I would clean an area in the house, protecting floors and walls from the sheets rubbing and store them for the few weeks. I would probably also at my earliest convenience measure, mark out and cut the sheet goods and get them out of the house.

I hope someone has a better solution, though.

Take care, Mike

Gill":25g5d8nk said:
Mike! :shock:
I need a long tall glass of something alcoholic to recover from that slideshow.
If ever you were looking for proof that your wife loves you - that's it.
Gill
That and the fact yesterday was our 31st anniversary...

(did somebody say it's time for a G&T? Dang, it's only approaching noon here...)

Hi WiZeR

Do you have space under any beds? It's quite important to store sheet material flat if possible, so it doesn't warp. Also, stack it so that air can circulate freely. Oh, and if you give planks a coat of paraffin wax (or even paint :oops: ) on the endgrain, it'll help to avoid it splitting.

Gill

Mike :roll: :roll: My wife is no woodworker but if I bought that into my house in no time at all she would either making it into a cross to nail me to or knocking a coffin together to put me in. As Gill says a sure sign of love Alan.

gwaithcoed":pyajk8ja said:
Mike :roll: :roll: My wife is no woodworker but if I bought that into my house in no time at all she would either making it into a cross to nail me to or knocking a coffin together to put me in. As Gill says a sure sign of love Alan.
:lol: =D>

My wife's been asking where I'm going to be keeping my stock.....she didn't seem too impressed with my ideas!

My prob is often the other way round - finished or semi finished stuff that is full of air and therefore space hungry before being sent off to clients/ installed etc.

Wizer":24q9tlmr said:
The Sheet material on order is for a cabinet project that will now not get started for at least 3 weeks.

Who is the order with? I doubt that they would mind holding it back for a few weeks. Worth a try.

Cheers

T

Thanks all for your replies. I was told the wood would be delivered during next week. We are going on our hols next weekend so I wouldn't have had time to make a start. However, I returned home to find the sheets on my drive. Alsford Timber had decided to just deliver it seeing it was paid for. I am not too keen on Alsford and don't think i'll be using them again. The veneer board was dented and one of the mdf boards is chipped. Luckily it won't effect the project. The guys in the shop are always a bit rude and expect you to be an experienced chippy. But nm, i'll remember this in the future.

More on the sheet material here...

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 3624#63624

I think I will design a 'Covered Shelter' for the rest of the wood and aim not to keep as much as i'd like. I'm on the lookout for a garage in the local area to either rent or buy. This will be good to store wood aswell as all the other junk we seem to not be able to throw away!

Latest posts

Back