How to stop a garden bench falling backwards!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouHolme

Reaction score
Am after some advice please! I have built a garden bench as a friend has asked me to build him one so I thought I had better have a go at one for me first! I’ve angled the back at 105 degrees, but it’s a little heavy and I’m worried if you lean back too heavily, the bench could topple over backwards!
323CF952-E588-4458-84A0-5BD6F54C7C50.jpeg
The 4 legs are the same length with a frame under the 2 planks for the seat, the angled back supports are then bolted into the back legs (hopefully the photo shows what I’ve done). The seat and back rest timber is 200x45 so it’s fairly heavy. Can anyone suggest a better way for the back? I wondered about maybe doing the back at 100 degrees so it’s more upright, but maybe a better design would be better? TIA

You back leg should angle rearwards to get under the back. You can either make new back legs, preferred, or cut a long wedge and glue and screw it to the back of the leg to get the same effect, less preferred.

Pete

Like Pete says. Think not of your friend sitting sedately with a glass of something, think of 4 boisterous 10 year old visitors scrambling all over it. If you drop a plumb line (real or imaginary) from the top of the back to the ground, your leg or leg extension needs to be out to about there. Upright back no issue of course.

I would run diagonal struts from the top of the front legs, through the half way point of the back legs and on to the floor, which to my eye would be roughly underneath the highest point of the backrest. that should be enough to stop it tilting backwards, and as a bonus gives a touch more stability, and as it would be an addition you wouldn't have to take any of your work apart.

As well as the whole thing falling backwards I think you should be concerned about every other direction as well.
You say the legs are all the same length and fastened to a frame which is under the two seat planks. Unless you are jointing them together with connecting rails it could collapse catastrophically. Ian

As well as the whole thing falling backwards I think you should be concerned about every other direction as well.
You say the legs are all the same length and fastened to a frame which is under the two seat planks. Unless you are jointing them together with connecting rails it could collapse catastrophically. Ian
Agree, looks like the front of the seat is also way out in front of the front legs, so could easily tip forwards as well. If you look at a normal wooden park bench you will see that the front legs are typically close to, or even in front of, the foremost part of the seat. Likewise the back legs relative to the top of the backrest. Your legs just look to be to close together I'm afraid.

Agree, looks like the front of the seat is also way out in front of the front legs, so could easily tip forwards as well. If you look at a normal wooden park bench you will see that the front legs are typically close to, or even in front of, the foremost part of the seat. Likewise the back legs relative to the top of the backrest. Your legs just look to be to close together I'm afraid.
Hi Fergie, I think it’s a misleading photo and there are actually three legs on the side there, in other words one at the front we can’t see, I was more concerned with the fact that there doesn’t seem to be much holding the legs in place and a heavy person pushing against it would would collapse it. Ian

Hi Fergie, I think it’s a misleading photo and there are actually three legs on the side there, in other words one at the front we can’t see, I was more concerned with the fact that there doesn’t seem to be much holding the legs in place and a heavy person pushing against it would would collapse it. Ian
Ah well spotted, I hadn't noticed that. Agree that it certainly needs something to ensure the legs are well braced in both directions.

Back