how to remove protective oil??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favourite cure-all is meths and elbow grease. Test first just in case it removes something you wanted to retain, like paint... DAMHI etc :roll:

Cheers, Alf

If you don't care for the smell of meths then white spirit should do the job. Use some white kitchen paper towel and you will be able to tell if there's any oil left by how clean the paper is
John

Try using what machine shops use to remove the protective covering on new machines.
A brush and paraffin.
I've used an old roasting tray with some paraffin in to collect the mess then pour into an oilcan to take to the local tip for disposal.

Or, don't ponce around: go to your nearest car parts store, and buy a gallon of 'thinners': toluene/xylene mix: put the article in it, and slosh around, or wipe on: it'll remove anything from anything... Then rinse with wd40, and you're good to go...

Whatever you do Thomas don't use thinners or toluene in your cellar workshop, they are both toxic.

thanks for the advice!

I ended up using WD40 with a brillo pad....

Gees...it was covered in oil :shock:

But finally managed to get it off :mrgreen:

So i had a go at some dovetails....

They are VERY easy to do :D :D

Ta

Tom

Back