How to remove furniture paste/wax before painting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiemonster

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to recycle some furniture covered in Black Bison furniture wax/paste. In its next incarnation it will be painted. Any experience or tips for removing the wax? Mix a solution of 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 tablespoon of cream of tartar to make a natural abrasive cleaner, is one idea brought up by Google.

I could be mistaken, but I think the Liberon wax polish remover is based on naphtha- ie you need a solvent to leach out the wax, unless you plan on sanding off the surface layer containing the old wax?

I believe White Spirit is fairly heavy naphtha (lighter fluid is the lighter version), both should dissolve wax. If you're refinishing, applying with wire wool should get it to the bottom of the wax layer quite fast. You might need a couple of applications to get rid of it all.

Thanks all for your responses.

I went with the white spirit and wire wool, as suggested.

It's harder work than I expected - loads of crud emerges - but it's now clean enough to take the paint.

+1 for white sprit it's good for cleaning wax crayon marks as well.

Pete

White spirit and wire wool as has been suggested. Scraping works well also especially if you are going to need to do some sanding anyway.
Prime the wood with either plain shellac or a shellac based primer before painting, it will stick to the remaining wax, you can never get it all off.

Latest posts

Back