How to protect surfaces while spraying in multi use shed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Spraying wb paint on bookcases doors etc in the shed (small). Want to keep my woodworking equipment paint free! Any thoughts on how to do this effectively? I’m thinking a pop up tent, or perhaps some curtains or the like hanging from tracks in the ceiling?

Static cling plastic on a roll from screwfix, Just chuck it everywhere and weigh it down with something.
Or if you want to get fancy and do it often or if just want the best ever dust sheets get some of these Wiper Supply Services Limited. Disposable Atlas Dustsheets

They are water resistant for spills, non scratchy for delicate stuff and heavy enough to stay put when draping them over things, they say disposable but I have had some for years.
Its odd that they are almost a secret. I have put a lot of people on to them when they see me turn up and cover the room with them. I can`t believe anyone still uses the old porus dust absorbing cotton ones but so many decorators and builders still do. Minimum order is a box of 10 I think.

Toolstation do a similar one but they are not as nice, similar but stiffer and have joins in them which open up. Also more expensive but I guess if you just want one its ok.https://www.toolstation.com/one-tuff-decorators-dust-sheet/p95130

Another alternative is waterproof nylon fabric, it comes in 1.5m wide rolls and has a rubbery backing you can buy it by the meter on ebay and it can be really cheap if you don`t care about the colour or buy the end of a roll, I use this on floors mostly to save the other sheets.

Ollie

I use tarpaulin suspended from a rope threaded through the eyelets, and a turned up hem at the bottom with a piece of chain threaded through it to weigh it down at the bottom so they don't flap about.

Have a look at Amazon and search "spray tent" - start from about £50 - I'm just hovering on buying one (watch out for sizes - some are for cakes and very small!)

My current booth is a very large cardboard carton that, sort of, folds flat - it contained a fridge.

You local car spraying suppliers will have polythene sheet on a roll (& masking paper on the roll), it opens out wide & is ideal for covering stuff you dont want covered in paint.
Dont forget that overspray will rapidly build up in small areas & some form of extraction might be necessary.
Dont forget lung protection as well!

I use one of those cheap blue woven tarpaulins. I think mine was 8m x 4m and I split it to give me two 8m x 2m strips with eyelets on one edge. I just banged nails into the ceiling joists in line with the eyelets. The nails remain whilst the tarps can be removed and folded into a box when not in use.

Back