How to proceed with compensation? - Water damage to workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Established Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had a leak around the mains stopcock in my garage. I had a Homecare agreement with BG who sent out an engineer from one of their subsidary companies. In short, the engineer changed a lot of pipework and about 2mins after he completed the job, the new connections failed and flooded the garage, including my new £2k bandsaw and £1.8k p/thicknesser as well as other items.

At first the subsidary company and engineer accepted the fault, blaming a failed part. The complaints manager was very helpful and accepting at first and promised to sort out compensation straight away, however due to the size of the claim he had to pass it on further up the chain. However it has been 2 months now and no word from anyone.

How do I best put in a claim now for damages? I'd rather not get the home insurance involved as it could affect my premiums. Am I good to use the small claims court for something around the £4k mark?

I'm also anticipating a challenge too if it does so what kind of fee should I be looking at from a solicitor?

Assuming that you have copious documentation, photographs, emails to and from BG then it is a straightforward matter to take them to the Small Claims Court and you don't need to use a solicitor. Even if they contest it.

Your starting point is to send them a Letter Before Action stating your case and how much compensation you require etc.

If some of the communication has been by telephone then hopefully you followed up each telephone conversation with an email to them detailing the conversation as a record. Failing that, do they record their incoming calls ? Or did you record the call on your phone ?

He wasn't an engineer just a semi skilled technician I doubt he was even a qualified plumber. Sorry but the misuse of this word really annoys me.
Second BG are the scum of the earth
Third as you have found those homecare policies are a waste of money.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have documentation, photos, receipts etc. Sent them and received a positive reply initially from the complaints manager at the office of Dyno-Bodge. Should have been straight forward as it is a product liability issue for the part they used, but he personally wasn't able to sign a cheque that size so sent it on. And since that it's been silence.

When I had trouble with a claim to ParcelForce I wrote to the Chief Executive by e-mail setting out the basis of the claim, giving them 7 days to pay out before i submitted a claim to the County Court. Had the CE's secretary ring me the next day apologising and saying I would be paid within a week which they duly did.

Contact details for British Gas at http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=9519

Regards Keith

Back