How to prep this wood as a table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought 2 slabs like this on Friday - spalted maple…
I would like to make simple side tables for our summerhouse, (will add hairpin legs)

what is the best way of making sure these are perfectly flat?
my planer and thicknesser are not quite wide enough, I do have an electric plane, and hand planes (though no experience with them)

How do I treat the waney edge? I want to keep the edge, but smooth it as much as possible, so it can feel bumpy but not rough…

how should I finish them? I would like as deep a shine as possible, like the old regency furniture I have, but not sure I have time to learn to French polish… also, if kept in a summerhouse, do they need any form of protection?

5A370EF9-8DDE-4740-920B-E863C59BFE35.jpeg

Have a look on Youtube for router sleds,fairly simple to make one to flatten your boards, with the waney edge just remove the bark and sand as much or as little as you want.Various finishes out there to give a shiny finish,sorry cannot recommend one .

I second the router sled option. You can make one from plywood or mdf offcuts in about an hour.
Oil will make the grain pop nicely, tung oil or Osmo or something.

Ollie

The handplane is what I'd use.
If you have a perfectly flat bench to plane on or check with, then its a much simpler process even for a newcomer, as the bench tells you where the high spots are.
You can even burnish the high points, or a step further use some crayon or graphite.
DSCN1992.JPG

You must have a good lamp, I like a long reach angle poise for the job, if you don't plan on spending as long as you want safely messing about and taking thin shavings.
The black/dark crayon comes off with two rubs or supposedly WD40 if you had something other than a wooden top.
The crayon/graphite will teach truly how heavy a cut one can make with a light setting on the plane.

A good project and serious skill builder is making a pair of parallel straight edges, no shorter than the longest thing you wish to plane.
You can get twice the tolerance of your bench with the two surfaces,
and that's well beyond what you can see, as any gap will be doubled.
I use a few blocks for shimming the middle of this thin bench top until its good.

The parallel beams can be checked for straight by flipping one around to ensure any possible spoon factor happening..two crooks in the timber matching, should I say.
BENCH CHECK.JPG

Just watch David Charlesworth's videos for planing methodology, simply no one better at instruction on precision planing, hands down.
He will make you a pro in about half an hours watching,
you will be fimiliar with "stopped shavings" and through shavings, watch everything you can find if you want the best.
just don't follow anyone else as most of the guru teachers are dishonest, plenty of those guys.
Cosman is also skilled and honest , (strictly regarding the work), but he would have you convinced you need to buy half of Canada.

And then take David Weaver's advice regarding setting a plane, and you won't have any tearout and an unbeatable sheen with the use of the close set cap iron.
There really is a difference using the close set cap iron if you want chatoyance, but you must follow the rules of setting up.
Take anyone elses word other than David W 's (youtube username) with a pinch of salt bar a few, which I can name for you.
You can see what's called the "influence of the cap iron" in these folks videos, which is * unbroken shavings coming up and out of the plane *
and not curling around.
David made a good document called "Setting the cap iron" on a woodcentral webpage for a quick summary.
TheEnglishWoodworker (just don't look at that misleading thumbnail)

Brian Holcombe, knows a good thing when he sees it.

Mr Chickadee, has touched on the subject, a man of few words.

Franks workbench, seems to have the hang of it.

Hernan Costa, Spanish guy I think, obviously knowledgeable about the cap iron, or whatever it's called in Spain.

Seekelot, a man who has done some testing before, one of the odd ones that doesn't prefer 50 plus degrees cap iron angle, not sure if he works exotics which would explain things.

I think I recall Matt Kenny making some influenced shavings in some video before.

And an even newer youtuber to me, but has been around a long while is Dusty splinters, he has quite a lot to say about the cap iron.

I haven't seen anyone else who actually uses the cap iron to its full potential, but seen plenty of folks saying they do, when infact they are only giving bad information, like suggesting having a fine mouth, which just won't work and has likely put many off.
So be warned about taking advice from anyone other, it should be plain to see from what I've mentioned.
If you see anyone using a scraper for anything but refinishing or veneering, or anyone dodging a knot on anything but the heaviest jack/scrub planing for flat work, then they are missing out and should see what all the fuss is about.

All the best

Tom

Last edited:
Wow - thank you for some great answers (esp. ttrees detailed reply!) a router sled seems a worthwhile avenue to explore - I have several routers of different sizes…

In width it is about 340 I think or a little bit bigger, my thicknesser will only just do 300ish and the planer about 250

One important thing to think about is humidity. Wood expands and contracts (mainly across the grain) as humidity changes, and in a summer house you might get quite large variations in humidity. If you look at the end grain of your slabs you will get some idea about which directions it will move in - vertical grain will tend to stay flat, but if you can see curves then it will tend to cup in the direction of the curve.

So, step 1 is to acclimatise the slabs in the summerhouse before you flatten them. Otherwise you risk them moving if the humidity is different from the place they were stored before you flatten them. Thick slabs take some time to move, so a couple of weeks I'd say. It might be useful to leave them for longer and keep checking them - over the summer you get quite wide humidity variations, and if the slabs keep changing shape you'll want to decide when in that cycle is the best time to flatten them - you won't stop this movement whatever you do!

Step 2 is to think about how well seasoned they are - if they still have some drying out to do, there is a risk of checking at the ends. Sealing the ends (if needed) slows this down and reduces checking, but if it happens you might need to lose some length off each end. Others will know better than me how to keep as much length as possible.

You may lose most of the extra 40mm with trimming the bark etc. Then run it through your machine.

Some great responses,I love working with spalted maple it’s nice to cut and shape with hand tools but I would say you need to consider time factors (making one off tool jigs vs trimming etc) most importantly your design will dictate your methods, have a design clear in your mind and then consider best way to use your materials, you may find you can trim down and get through planer etc..

Big belt sander. Start with 40 and work through the grits.
That ripple looks interesting - if it wasn't spaltered (a.k.a. "rotten") it'd be worth a bomb. Might polish up nicely nevertheless.
Put it into a summerhouse by all means but take it out again in bright sunlight and overnight, in weather like this.

Last edited:
Even if I trimmed off all the waney edge, it would be too big for thicknesser / planer, so I will have to take another approach as I would like to keep that edge...
they are currently at c. 5% - 6% moisture according to my metre, so am not sure they would lose much more? The workshop is very similar conditions to the summerhouse, so I am leaving them in there for now as the summerhouse is currently being painted inside! The grain does look to be curved, so am guessing that they will be unstable, but this is all new for me, so i am happy to experiment and get it wrong - just wish to maximise my chances of getting it right!

Summerhouse is set up to be mainly out of direct sunlight and is reasonably sheltered, so hopefully that will moderate temperature fluctuations...

No belt sander, but I do have a ROS so could use that - they are actually fairly flat already, so there is not much more flattening to do - mainly prepping them for finishing...

looking again at them, the paler wood on the right (sapwood?) by the waney edge, seems much softer, do I just leave it like that, or is there anything I can do to improve that?

The softer sections are often where started to break down during sparring, how are you thinking to finish? Obs if you are using an oil there will be no structural benefit but. Polyurethane can at least give a tough deal to any softer streaks?

haven't really made a decision - part of the reason for this thread!
I only have wax / oil type finishes, but am happy to purchase others if there is a good recommendation...

I guessed these were dried boards, but none the less take heed on sealing the endgrain of the timber with some wax or old glue.

I've got one of those moisture meters, cheapie from Lidl and I don't trust it, even with the good ones, they're intended to be used on freshly cut timber, which would need be a few inches in from the end grain, as that's where the bound moisture is going to escape.
Richard Jones, a frequent poster here, is very knowledgable chap who might be worth doing a search for, if curious about something.

If it's not an absolutely bone dry house where it's going to end up,
and stored in a bone dry shed now as it is, I wouldn't risk it and hack off the sapwood, as at least four species of beetle that would love to get into it.

Mainly for me, the common furniture beetle as pictured below,
often nicknamed cloths moths or carpet beetle, you might see some tell tale signs somewhere of wee adventure sleeping bags in some crevices if it is damp enough, or just bring a cup of tea in there and see if any clumsy ones end up in your face/steamy beverage ;)

SAM_4681.JPG

SAM_4672.JPG

thank you so much for this - it is really interesting - but it does leave me slightly confused - the wood is being sold as waney edge wood - and that is why I wanted it, to have that character as well as the spalted look... does that mean that there is no way of using it - to remove the sapwood would effectively mean trimming down the right hand side and therefore losing the sapwood and the waney edge...

If that is the only option, then I guess I wasted my money as I won't get what I wanted, but it does seem strange then that it should be sold as that if it effectively can't be used...

sorry for appearing to be thick but I am very new at woodworking, and this is my first time buying a big chunk of timber and I just assumed that it would be usable, and all I would have to worry about would be getting it fairly flat?!

Take the bark of with a wire brush and lots of elbow grease or a round one in a drill and then sand from 60 to 320 edge done. the sawn edge plane until it is level along the length of the timber (sheck with a straight edge) and also check there is no hump etc across the thickness of the edge. Then put the timber show face down on a sandbag to keep it steady and prep the face you can see until it is level, check with the straight edge. then adjust until that face is flat and level and at 90deg to the previously trued reference edge. then you can turn it over on the bench removing the sandbag and see if it rocks at all. If it does check the twist with a couple of straight sticks and plane to adjust. Once happy turn it over and plane the show face until it is square to the rear reference edge and flat. And Bob's a fancy kitchen fitter.

No faff, no fancy tools, no expense. Just a bit of effort and fortitude

hth

I suggest looking at Sgian Dubh posts, he has written a book about it.
It depends if your place is damp enough for beetles to survive.
I'd say even more tasty due to the spalting, but may not be an issue for some in centrally heated homes without damp anywhere.

I don't have to worry as the toxins in the African timbers I use is fairly strong, so maybe some species have more resilience than others.
Walnut is one of the rare ones where sapwood percentage in sawn boards is still considered viable product, up to whatever percent sapwood compared to other species, so your answer may be found more frequently with some search involving walnut.

Sorry I cannot really answer your question correctly, but suggest not being in a rush to do anything to the end grain, like crosscutting it, and do that last in effort to slow down the drying, if it is still wet.

At the same time, also a good idea to inspect where in the tree the slab came from, by looking at the grain, what a contradiction!
If you had a batch of timber which might have a flaw, you could cut it off and measure MC,
Or if you knew exactly the stuff was , straight outta the kiln which kills bugs, left for a while afterwards, could come back again,
air dired, more likely as its easy and free, and the spalting may suggest it was laying upright for some time?
A guess on my Joe Soaps perspective.

Chances are you did well by asking for waney edge, as this seems to have came across to the man as "the widest slab you've got."
Each side of the pith of the middle of the tree is quartersawn and generally more stable than flatsawn/or riftsawn, and the figure on the face grain would very much suggest so also.

I'd still be worried about splits, as the rule goes ...
Keep the wood as long, for as long, as possible.

Seal the ends and slow drying down, it could be losing a lot of moisture and crack since it's in a new environment.

Might sound contradictory, but don't surface one big plank either, if you're going to cut into parts later on, as you would waste much thickness. Every single shaving counts when your trying to get stock which makes the cut.

Tom

Do you have other examples which can be cut and measured,
a year and a day, plus a summer for each inch, but thicker than say 4" then longer.

what is the best way of making sure these are perfectly flat?
my planer and thicknesser are not quite wide enough, I do have an electric plane, and hand planes (though no experience with them)

How do I treat the waney edge? I want to keep the edge, but smooth it as much as possible, so it can feel bumpy but not rough…

Start by chipping off the loose bits of the waney edge with a chisel. Better yet would be a drawknife, if you've got one. Later, after other procedures (planing) sand it to an acceptable smoothness.

As for flattening the board I'd guess getting the first face basically flat might take anywhere between five and ten minutes with a reasonably set up no 5 or no 6 plane. It's a small board, and you'd be able to flatten with a no 4 plane if that's all you've got. Fix the board down with the concave face upwards, and start planing taking off the high spots first. Use a straight edge to check progress towards flatness, or the edge of the plane's sole. Check flatness by holding your straightedge across the grain at end, middle, end, then along the length in a couple of places, then diagonally. Gaps indicate there are still high spots.

To get the other side flat use a marking gauge to scribe a line on the board's edges from the flattened face almost to the other face. Where you've scraped off bark it's likely your gauge won't be able to scribe a line all along the edge, but a partial line will probably do. If need be come up with a trick to mark a line on the waney edge, e.g., lay the flattened face down on a flat surface and arrange a block of wood or similar to rest a pencil on its circumference on the block with the pencil point at the same height as your gauged line and mark a line. With your hand plane, plane down to the gauge/pencil line checking for flatness as before with your straight edge. That's each side flat and parallel. You may want to plane the edges square, or you might want them a bit wavy and shaped which can be done with chisels, drawknife, spokeshaves, scrapers and sanding - your choice.

Flattening the wood with a fairly coarse set and not particularly fussily set up plane is likely to leave at least some tearout, especially as you've got some softer and spongy rotted wood to work with. The fix is to get a plane set up to work really well to later remove the tearout, or most of it in readiness for polishing: Ttrees above talked about that so I'm not going to bore anyone further on the topic. If you can't get a plane to do the final prep work job effectively you might just have to go at it with a sander starting with something as rank as 80 grit and work up to about 180 -220 grit - you say you have an ROS, so that's the tool to use. Be wary of oversanding the softer rotted areas creating hollows. In your image the top right corner looks pretty degraded and rotted away. If you can stick a finger or a pencil blunt end in easily it's too soft, so you'll probably need to cut all that bit off, but the rest of the board looks usable with relatively limited degradation.

Attaching hairpin legs may not be able to stop the board(s) warping in the future if it/they decides it/they want to warp, so you might have to consider putting a slot screwed cross bearer or two on the underside to help reduce the chances of that happening. The hairpin legs may have a rigid metal plate that, with two legs attached, span most of the wood's width and those alone might be enough to resist warp, so a cross bearer probably wouldn't be needed in that case.

As to a finish, I'd go with an oil based interior varnish. You'll know it's oil/spirit based because the brush clean up requires white spirits or brush cleaner. For best results follow the guidance on the can, although your first one or two coats in this instance (because of the fungal degradation) it wouldn't hurt to be thinned out perhaps 50% with white spirits which will help the varnish penetrate the wood a bit better, thus stiffening the fibres somewhat. French polishing for a project like this wouldn't be my choice. Slainte.

In terms of finish simplistically oil gives a beautiful natural lustre but if you are likely to get water spills from glasses etc then a Polyurethane is more durable. Oil finishes are however easily refinished if needed. As has been mentioned do not seal unless the wood has been properly dried.

what a wealth of information on here - thank you all for the amazing advice!
will have a play when I have time (which may not be for a few weeks, but hopefully that will allow the wood to stabilise anyway!)
will report back on how I manage to wreck it all / succeed! :)

Back