• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

How to post an item for sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Con Owen

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not very computer literate. I seek assistance on how I should post an item for sale correctly. How to access on an ongoing basis any replies that I may receive. I recently posted an item for sale and the mods had to edit the pictures as they showed the wrong way round (thanks). So I want to avoid in future as far as is possible these mistakes. Please, please make any replies as easy as possible for me to understand.

Regards
Con

Regarding pics, if youre taking them on a tablet or mobile (especially apple), its best to save them to a computer (laptop or tower). Rotate them so they are right way up on your computer screen and save them as web page jpeg files. then they will always be the right way up when you attach them here.

Thank you sunnybob. They were put on the right way up from the PC but somehow they appeared upside down on the advert, however it you clicked on the photo they showed the correct way up.

Chas and Nev have a good thread on the topic here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/picture-posting-guide-t63716.html

I find it's better to upload images to a 3rd party host such as Imgur. You won't be restricted to a certain file size of the image so you can provide really crisp, large photographs of what you're trying to sell for clarity.

1: Upload your Image to Imgur
2: Once uploaded you can edit your image to make it smaller, crop it or rotate it if you need to.
3: Once any editing has been completed and saved, right click on the image and click "Copy Image Location" which will look like this: https://i.imgur.com/ev441JQ.jpg?1
4: Once the link is copied, go back to the forum and click the little button on top of the textbox called "insert image" it looks like a mountain range with a sun.
5. Once that comes up, paste the link to your image and click OK. It will look like this in the text box: https://i.imgur.com/ev441JQ.jpg?1[/img ] <- without the space I've added in the brackets just to make sure it doesn't post the image.

Once that's all done you should have something like this:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ev441JQ.jpg

Con Owen":1gf4irgp said:
Thank you sunnybob. They were put on the right way up from the PC but somehow they appeared upside down on the advert, however it you clicked on the photo they showed the correct way up.

Well that IS confusing. I've been posting here for over 4 years now and my system has always resulted in pics in the correct rotation.
n

Con Owen":27r0ybxm said:
The reason for this is that when you take a digital photo on most modern quality devices, be it camera, 'phone or tablet, information is saved in the EXIF image file to say which way up you were holding the device (as well as a whole host of other info. such as exposure, time and place) when you took the picture, this because you may actually want to display the image 'upside down' for instance.

When you display the image on most devices such as a PC the display software looks at this information and turns the picture the 'right way up' to make sense for normal viewing.
This is why you see it the right way up regardless as to how you held your camera etc.

The forum PHP software does not read this EXIF data, deliberately because you may want to show it 'upside down' for instance hence images you 'see' as right way up end up on the on their side etc.

When you click on an image to download the larger version, your machine, not the forum software, reads the EXIF date and displays the image as it thinks you should view it to make most sense.

Many Image manipulation programs do not re-save this EXIF data when saving the image or save it with the EXIF data modified to represent the new format or picture rotation hence why editing it on your PC etc. appears to correct the image rotation.
Ashampoo_Snap_2019.06.16_18h59m48s_001_.jpg

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_2019.06.16_18h59m48s_001_.jpg
    Ashampoo_Snap_2019.06.16_18h59m48s_001_.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 262

Latest posts

Back