How To Polish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well soulboy, you can bow to the master if you want to, of course if you don't, well you stay stupid, that's life. It's not your thread, so why don't you go and run your thinly veiled abuse game somewhere else.

kevin dwyer":26vm3eaz said:
it's a joke jim, really don't know how you guys can take this stuff so seriously. I spent years working for an antique restoring factory, stripping furniture outside all year long after which I'd do the woodwork, stain it and then pretty much all of it got sprayed. If I wasn't doing that I'd be cutting sheet material and timber for a for a timber yard and another year was spent flatting and polishing for a veneer factory.

You guys seem to be arguing the toss about a simple method for beginners.
The stuff I've seen posted, to be frank...I wouldn't give house room to, sorry. That you've been working in a factory all day stripping stuff and applying a very basic finish is evident. If you really want to 'up the game' I'd pay heed to the excellent advice given by others in this thread. For any concerns regarding the history of furniture and polishing in general you'd find no better source than my very good pal Mike Huntley who was for some years the Head of Restoration at Sotheby's in London...and it doesn't get much better than that - Rob

How dim can you be ? What on earth has Sothebys got to do with a one off piece of furniture someone has made or restored ? I carefully framed this piece to very clear cut to avoid all the moronic views that are possible and yet, here they all are, popping out of the woodwork. Your view of superior essence is delusional. Stop being a cry baby, grow up and do some work.

That's just the point, choice of finish is not clear cut. It depends on tha application and what suits the individual.

Jim

kevin dwyer":14ikinck said:
How dim can you be ? What on earth has Sothebys got to do with a one off piece of furniture someone has made or restored ? I carefully framed this piece to very clear cut to avoid all the moronic views that are possible and yet, here they all are, popping out of the woodwork. Your view of superior essence is delusional. Stop being a cry baby, grow up and do some work.
Oh dear :( You seem to be setting yourself up as a finishing guru, when as Jim has rightly pointed out, not all finishing requirements are the same. I refrained from commenting on the work posted on the Projects section of the forum at the time as it seemed to me, at least, be very low grade. If you take the trouble to post stuff on a public forum then please be prepared to take incoming flack as well as the plaudits. As to work that I've done, there's plenty of it on here if you'd care to do a search and I think you'll find that it's a tolerable standard. I finished with this particular thread as there's very little else that I can usefully contribute. Your previous post btw has been reported to the mods...

...as has the odious one below - Rob

Well i've never met you Rob and you start off by by being plain insulting of my work so that's what you're going to get back. Why you claim to be some gret woodworker and spend your time reading a basic thread only with the intention of critising it would relate to what I have already said that you need to be doing something better with your time. Not really sure how many times I have to repeat what this thread is about. I'm interested in production, i'm interested in furniture not ending up in landfills. If that's too complex for your self admiration, so be it. I've spent more than enough time repairing veneers on expensive furniture. If you don't have the confidence to come out and help other people it's becuse you're just some kind of sly cheat ; Hence the whole rediculous I'm not going to say any more da da da.

Kevin, I have to put my 2 pence worth in here. I think your attitude stinks, the people on this forum try to be as helpful as possible, most of us work in the trade or produce excellent work as a hobby.
The finish you are recommending here is not something I would recommend to anyone , if I were to suggest using sanding sealer in this way at work I'd have my p45 handed to me as I was kick through the open door way.
But that aside if some one feels they don't agree with you, it's not right for you to retort in such a personal manner, if you want to debate the virtues of what your saying that's fine but let's be a little adult about it. The way you instantly bad mouthed Rob makes me feel that you know very little about a topic you are professing to be an expert at, and as rob has written already some of your other posts prove this point.

Woodfinish Man":3qfpigyc said:
The simple answer for all beginners is to get themselves on our 1 day french polishing course They will learn all about working with spirit stains, water stains, grain fillers, sanding sealer, french polish and wax....all in one day. It's a no brainer!

Ian

and the prize for the most useful post on this thread goes to the above :)

....thats if I was in a position to give a prize before anyone asks - which I'm blantantly not :roll:

I actually came to this thread looking for some helpful advice as I am admittedly still very much a beginner, especially when it comes to finishing. I liked the ideas you put forward but definitely not your attitude.

I do sometimes give advice on this forum but when someone knows more than me, which tends to be more often than not, gives a correction, I'm happy to learn from it and move on. It's a shame that someone like yourself who claims to want to offer advice can't actually take it himself.

I read your thread when it was first posted and admit I found it interesting reading even though it is not a method I would use personally (just my choice). So taken at face value, a useful post but then you showed your immaturity by vehemently responding to comments made by other members.

This suggests that either you are somewhat naive to think that posting an apparently definitive finishing guide wouldn't provoke response or is it just the bullying tactics of someone who can't take what he dishes out?

I am not qualified to comment on your methods but experienced enough to know there are as many different ways as days of the year. I read your post because I am always intreaged by other workers methods and am willing to learn. Great shame your attitude spoils that.

Bob

Latest posts

Back