How to plan a new extraction system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morag Jones

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you can help me plan.
I have a basic extractor languishing in a shed and it would be more useful if I fitted it... My workshop adjoins a car port so I can mount it there.

I'd appreciate any advice on planning the ducting and pitfalls to avoid. Thanks.

tempImageQDHBE1.png

Get smaller towards the end.
Don’t put more on than your extractor can handle.
Minimise obstructions and sharp corners.
Poor extraction is better than no extraction.

Much is talked about it here, you will find some good info if you search, but it may be well camouflaged

Thanks this is really helpful - I shall digest.

I have recently got a s/h Bestcombi 2000, so the need for extraction is now very pressing. Esp. as I have figured put how it all works. I also regularly use a bandsaw, compound mitre saw and have a (wood) lathe. This last one only for making parts/handles for this and that rather than anything fancy.

A wandering hose to plug onto sanders etc will be a good addition.

Right - I'm going in to this link!

I don’t think that’s a particularly potent extractor, you may be best served moving it close to each machine as you need it than fitting a load of ducting that doesn’t deliver a great result

Thanks TheTiddles and baldkev, the link about extraction was indeed thought provoking and has steered me in one direction.
Yes, my little extractor is probably not up to the job. It sat outside a 7'x14' shed and my 'new' workshop is a good bit bigger.

This has now raised another question.

I can buy a new extractor and have looked at cyclone machines. But as I have to site the extractor outside the wall (but under cover) anyway, would I be better spending my budget on a more powerful machine to shift more air rather than using a cyclone. I already have a 16A supply there.

I usually try to do all my sanding under the car port anyway to minimise mess, so having a pick-off hose there would be handy.

Meanwhile, I can be planning my duct work...

Yep, you certainly could get a bigger unit if you can afford to..... it'll be an improvement. Some of the members here have spoken highly of the double bag fox extractor ( 3hp ) Worth running the ducting in 6" and take a branch down to each machine and have a shut off / blast gate, even if you end up reducing to 4" at the machine
Edit to add: you could sell your existing one and buy a cheap shop vac to boost your collection options.... sanders and tablesaw would benefit from a shop vac instead of an extractor.
Im not sure whats best for a lathe, probably worth asking in the woodturning section or looking for threads on the searchbar

I have a few metres of flexible SS 6” flue liner. Would this be a good solution just for an awkward bend through the shed wall?

The rest is going to be bought fittings.

Back