How to open a locked and broken upvc door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
The gearbox has quite likely disintegrated.
Before I buy a new door and frame is there a little trick to learn?
It's fully latched.
Cheers Andy

Do you know what type of locking points it had? Rollers, hooks, deadbolts etc?

I had a new PVC door fitted recently. I asked the salesman about security, I said to him I hear these doors are pretty easy to open.
His reply was, For someone who knows what they are doing.
I'm sure someone on here knows what they are doing.

I had a new PVC door fitted recently. I asked the salesman about security, I said to him I hear these doors are pretty easy to open.
His reply was, For someone who knows what they are doing.
I'm sure someone on here knows what they are doing.

Security on any house with a window is very low.

Is it the lock that's broken or the linkages inside the door.

If the lock then you should be able to bump it with a club hammer, if the linkage a new door if probably a better idea.

This is all theoretical knowledge btw!

Cheers James

We had the same problem with a good quality Everest door, so called in a local locksmith who was able to remove the old lock and fit a new one with commensurate and worrying ease.

Is it the lock that's broken or the linkages inside the door.

If the lock then you should be able to bump it with a club hammer, if the linkage a new door if probably a better idea.

This is all theoretical knowledge btw!

Cheers James
Most likely to be the gearbox as the "lift to latch" is non existent and as a result the key won't go full circle.
Cheers Andy

The gearbox has quite likely disintegrated.
Before I buy a new door and frame is there a little trick to learn?
It's fully latched.
Cheers Andy
Hi Andy, I'm a locksmith here in Ireland te best thing you can do is do a search on the master locksmiths association website for a local locksmith and give them a call they should give you a very close estimation of cost before they call, they will turn up and be gone in about an hour. Your door will be left working great and it will cost you a lot less than if you try it yourself. PM me if you need anymore help.
Jon

Depending on agree and accessibility, I've drifted the hinge pins out a number of times.

I've also had good results spreading the door and frame apart, using a special tool, but a 3" bolster will work as a substitute, and tapping the locking points back - if you get lucky moving one will open everything as they're linked. An air wedge will help enormously, and they're very useful tools to have for a wide variety of jobs.

Just get a locksmith out. Far quicker and easier than replacing the door and frame, probably a lot cheaper too. If you can get it open then it's easy and cheap to replace. On mine the complete mechanism was only £50. Have you got another door with the same mechanism? If so just get the manufacturer's details and model number and Google it. Or take the mechanism out of the identical door so you can see how it operates, then you will see how to unlatch it. All that was wrong with mine was that the cam that turns to operate the rods to the latches had broken, so the handle was no longer actually connected to the mechanism. Took all of ten minutes to change out the whole thing, which came as a complete assembly with new rods and latches.

I was disapointed that our irish locksmith friend above didnt spill the beans,,,a trade secret perhaps? Anyway, whilst were all having a go I tried once to open a locked upvc window, I was told that the trick was to use somthing like an allen key hooked in round the edge of the door and slid down untill it caught one of the locking rollers, pulling down on one roller disengages them all,,,,however whilst it made sense and I could see the priciple on another window, I couldn't get it to work,,but it might be worth a try?
Steve.

I was disapointed that our irish locksmith friend above didnt spill the beans,,,a trade secret perhaps? Anyway, whilst were all having a go I tried once to open a locked upvc window, I was told that the trick was to use somthing like an allen key hooked in round the edge of the door and slid down untill it caught one of the locking rollers, pulling down on one roller disengages them all,,,,however whilst it made sense and I could see the priciple on another window, I couldn't get it to work,,but it might be worth a try?
Steve.
As much as I'd like to spill the beans on all our trade secrets, opened a failed multipoint lock can vary so much on the type of door, what's actually failed type of lock and the best approach to opening it with the least amount of damage also most multipoint locks fail due to external factors like a dropped door, warpping or binding on the receivers. This is where experience doing the job falls in. Our author could spend hours trying different methods and causing damage to the door which is very easy on pvc, then if he does open it he now has no lock on the door and is in a panic trying to find a replacement once he finds one he then fits it and hasn't resolved the initial issue of the door working correctly and in a few months finds himself back at square one. Where if her gets a MLA locksmith everything is done and dusted in an hour and his door will work like brand new. I've no problem giving advice but I will always advise the easiest and safest option.

I solved my "lost key" issue for the upvc patio door by drilling approx halfway through the lock and destroying internal 'teeth' in the process (drill 2-3mm below keyhole with 5-6mm drill). Once done lock can be opened with any key that fits into the keyhole. After that, I replaced the old lock with a new one from b&q. Cost me 20mins in drilling and driving + 5-10?£ for a new insert.

Perhaps I should add that just knowing how would be enough for me to proceed quite diligently but I understand that there's different types and likely different approaches to doing it.
This is a young lady who lives on her own and I am just trying to prevent a "ripoff" scenario.
A new door and frame is not out of the question.
In the meantime I've told her to get some quotes from the local locksmiths.

Luckily the last 3 gearboxes I changed were all open doors

Cheers Andy

Devious suggestion: Look for a local 'locksport' practioner?
Took me about 30 seconds to open an original lock in my patio doors (upvc).
Facebook groups - search locksport. Then ask.
Much cheaper than a locksmith.

Back