How to make this handle slot?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very difficult to do without the right tool for the job. So make it as a 3 piece handle, two sides and a piece of wood the same thickness as the blade to make up the gap around the tang. Done it many times myself and can be done almost invisibly if you are careful but personally I try and make it a feature and use a contrasting material/colour.

Yep - that’s exactly how I did this one….
C28C745A-3081-4677-9895-8EA3DDE62490.jpeg

I’m also wondering about glue. Try though I might this knife often ends up in the dishwasher. Do you think epoxy would cope?

Epoxy glue should be ok in the dishwasher but the wood will suffer. I’ve no doubt that it was being in the dishwasher that has been the cause of your current need to replace the handle.

Hi Kev, this not a comment on the slot for the tang, merely an observation on the state of the wood of the existing handle. It looks like the knife has been regularly placed in a dishwasher? I've replaced/renovated a number of kitchen utensils and have learnt that the best way to look after them is to hand wash the blade and buff down the wood keeping them out of the dishwasher.

Hi Kev, this not a comment on the slot for the tang, merely an observation on the state of the wood of the existing handle. It looks like the knife has been regularly placed in a dishwasher? I've replaced/renovated a number of kitchen utensils and have learnt that the best way to look after them is to hand wash the blade and buff down the wood keeping them out of the dishwasher.
Would you mind telling my partner that?

They don't cut a curved kerf, you can just use them to start a cut in the middle of a board.
You certainly can cut a curve. I once used one by drilling a hole through the blade so I could swing it to and fro on a pivot to cut a round slot the diameter of the curved end. Also very good where you want to cut a deep slot with a blind end. Of course you can also just use a conventional tenon saw or whatever and start the cut with the heel of the blade.

You certainly can cut a curve. I once used one by drilling a hole through the blade so I could swing it to and fro on a pivot to cut a round slot the diameter of the curved end. Also very good where you want to cut a deep slot with a blind end. Of course you can also just use a conventional tenon saw or whatever and start the cut with the heel of the blade.

Oh well Ok yes they can cut a curve if used like you say, but just used in your hands it wouldn't work very well.

Very interesting. I’ll have a wee practice with my dovetail saw (the thinnest of my saw blades).

I was intrigued enough to click this link as it sounded quite interesting (have no idea what “mircarta” is and thought I may need that in my repertoire) so was a bit disappointed to find it led to a page telling me I don’t have access authority 🙁
Same here :(

Same here :(
Blew 5 minutes earlier by googling it which led to a host of utube clips where folks were basically laminating stuff with epoxy..usually fabric but other stuff too. As epoxy isn’t the cheapest stuff these days what with everyone and his brother thinking they can make live edge river tables etc, it’s a pass for me.

That’s a bit carp, as it’s a really good tutorial by a really good maker. I’ve flagged to the site admins if there’s a way of making it more accessible.
Whilst there may be a bit of upfront cost it does become pretty economical too, but for a one off depends if you can get smaller quantities reasonably

Most knife handle scales are two pieces of wood then glued and riveted to the blade and shaped in situ. If done carefully the joint will not show. I woukk on d remove the old scales and look at the hilt you may find it’s not tapered?
This.

Just make a straight cut in your scales to accommodate the tang and bed into epoxy which will fill the void left by any taper.

To be honest, if there is enough surface area on the tang and you prepare the surface well enough, rivets are aesthetic as the glue will hold just fine but, some nice brass rivets/rod does look nice.

Back