How to make a stair rod bracket?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcod

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to fit some old stair rods, but the brackets are really hard to come by on their own. I've searched for brackets to buy I could modify but no luck so far.
I thought I could make some up myself but no clue where to start. A metal strip could possible be bent and cut for each one. Brass won't bend. Copper too soft. So maybe thin steel strip? Not very attractive but I could spray them.
I'm sure there is a nice business opportunity for someone to do a bit of casting!

Screenshot_20201021-190516.png

why won't brass bend? heat it up to anneal it and bend it. then silver solder the gusset. if you are struggling to bend the thickness to the radius shown above, kerf cut the long bend side then infill with solder.

I am not a metal worker but I would be tempted to try soldering a setup into the angle then slicing off to length.

why won't brass bend? heat it up to anneal it and bend it. ...
Doesn't it depend on the grade of brass? I've tried pushing things with CZ121 (the ubiquitous 'free machining' alpha/beta brass) and I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't cold work to that sort of radius without cracking whatever the annealing regime. Maybe I've not tried hard enough though! Different story with alpha alloys (eg 'cartridge brass' ) but they seem hard to find in the same range of sizes as CZ121. Not all brasses are born equal!
Personally I'd silver solder as novocaine suggests, but rather than cutting a kerf and filling I'd make them from three pieces - with a 55/45 Ag/Cu solder the joints would be invisible.

Bob.

It's hard to gauge the size of the angle from the photos but I think it will be hard to find the correct thickness - looks like 40x40x6 at a guess? As others have said, definitely possible to fabricate it from flat stock.

Agree, hadn't thought of angle stock. it would be useful to get dimensions, I thought they were bigger yesterday than I do today. I also like the idea of making 1 long unit then cutting it to width. you could the "silbraze" the gusset in place, lay a length of solder on the fluxed join then heat from the other side.

CZ121 has a high zinc content, I would form it hot instead of annealing it. :)
or I'd use CZ131 for this application. :)

Back