How to make a hollow.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Bear with me on this, I don't know how to best describe it.

It I had a small workpiece and I wanted to put a depression in it, I would mount it to a lathe. I would then be able to produce a bowl which would have a perfectly circular hollow.

How would I be able to do something similar on a board that is too big for a lathe? Diameter of the hollow is 3-4", 1" deep.

Hand tool or power tool suggestions welcome.

Gouge it out for a rustic look?
746DA812-750D-47FB-9C76-24A8A115A479.jpeg

We have done that on our medieval craft display,. Our blacksmith needed a dishing block. Our carpenter set to with a mallet and gouge and made the required shape. once a red hot piece of metal was pounded into it, it smoothed the inside nicely

Use gouges, a template to check the curve, then finish off with scrapers.

Could also use calipers or make a depth gauge to mark high points.

Last edited:
I have a spoon knife actually. I could always drill to near depth to reduce the carving.

Crazy router jig.

You can achieve the same using a circle jig and a wedge to angle the router base. You stick the wedge to the router sole, and attach to an adjustable rod, pinned at one end to allow it to swing. The other side attaches to the route by way of one of the guide rail clamps.

Not as angle adjustable as that one and certainly not as impressive looking.

Could you turn the dish you need on the lathe then inlay it into your board? That is how it is done on antique games tables but may not be suitable for a chopping board!

Back