How to level a (Slighty) wonky shed base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon_raynes

Reaction score
Some advice please. I wish to build a workshop over a good concrete shed base (5x4m) and find it is level on the length but falls 30mm on the 4m side. Should I:
  1. Ignore it and try and cater in the uprights and get the roof straight (feels wrong)
  2. Reconcrete it (feels hammer on nut)
  3. Take a layer of concrete from 30mm feathered down to 0 across the surface (feels likely to crack)
  4. Use a levelling compound (feels pricey)
  5. Shim the floor beams level (feels it might not last)
  6. Dry mix concrete and get the beams level (feels it might shift over time)
There seem pros and cons for all. What do you think?

as per novocaine and spectric I'd assume that drop off was to allow water away, if you need a level floor then shimming the beams level seems like the best option, this seems like it must be a frequent problem so there are maybe some off-the-shelf solutions for long life shims, but I don't know of any.

I'm wondering how they dealt with differing ground levels when using stadle stones on grain stores, which is in essense the same idea, if not on the same scale. I'm assuming the curved tops allowed for some degree of tweeking level? So maybe you could cast some concrete blocks / domes and use those as feet / wedges which would both level and keep ground clearance. Thinking outload as you can gather

https://www.negarden.com/blog/the-weird-and-wonderful-staddle-stone

Some advice please. I wish to build a workshop over a good concrete shed base (5x4m) and find it is level on the length but falls 30mm on the 4m side. Should I:
  1. Ignore it and try and cater in the uprights and get the roof straight (feels wrong)
  2. Reconcrete it (feels hammer on nut)
  3. Take a layer of concrete from 30mm feathered down to 0 across the surface (feels likely to crack)
  4. Use a levelling compound (feels pricey)
  5. Shim the floor beams level (feels it might not last)
  6. Dry mix concrete and get the beams level (feels it might shift over time)
There seem pros and cons for all. What do you think?
I had a similar problem, just used plastic packers of various different sizes to level floor timbers, just need to make sure you put plenty in so you don’t get bounce on the floor.

I have a similar problem with my base although more in the region of 10 to 20 mm and was going to use plastic packers ,would window packers be OK or
should i buy something else ?
CornishWoodworker mentions overlapping the extiorior i'm asuming so the water runs off, would this not impede ventilation under the base ?

Latest posts

Back