How to keep a vice tommy bar from disjoining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Maybe this question has an easy solution, but how do you keep your wooden vice tommy bar from disjoining. I have tried several types of glue for the dowel and then even inserted a screw through the dowel hole, but when I let the bar fall to the lowest position, it hits the metal T part and after some time, it always disassembles.

Thank you.

Some use a regular plumbing o-ring for theirs, whilst leather looks a heck of a lot nicer for the job.

Another recent real handy method that I've failed to find at the minute on the luthiers forum, is putting a rubber band around the boss and the tommy bar, as to keep it where you want,
say half way should one have an issue with the swinging tommy bar fouling something!
Gotta love those something for nothing tips 😀

Piccy from a UK luthier called stumblin, you will have to see the tip of the day
on page 5 on the loofiers forum
Bit of rubber and a punch.
Vice1.jpeg

Last edited:
Drill and tap the centre of the vice screw and add a thumbscrew as grub screw, (whilst I hate grub screws this is one occasion where I’ve had to live with it). Then you can set the bar in the middle for everyday use but loosen off for extra torque if needed

I have bits of bicycle inner-tube tightly wound around each end of the bar to stop the annoying clang’ when the bar drops.

I have not had a problem with mine. Been going fine for 10 years now. One end is glued on with epoxy and the other is solid part of the stick. If it ever gets to be a problem I will just wrap some elastic bands around to stop the caps striking the metal.P1010001.JPG
Regards
John

Back