How to join two battons end-to-end?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinkearn

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a complete novice and have a small wood work project for a pegboard panel to be used at an exhibition. I have a 2340mm x 946mm pegboard sheet (3.25 thick) which I need to stand upright, but I also need to be able to split it into 2 pieces for transport.

My idea is to fix a wooden baton to the rear perimeter of the pegboard sheet so that the whole thing is rigid and will stand up when fixed to the exhibition panels at the top.

I would then chop the entire thing in half across the centre so that the two pieces can be detached and transported. My question is how do I joint the two wooden batons so they join end-to-end in a strong enough way that the structure is rigid when assembled but can be detached easily with nothing more than a screwdriver (or similar).

Any tips or ideas greatly appreciated.

I have attached a diagram which shows what i am doing from the side profile.

Attachments

• PegBoardSplit.JPG
    PegBoardSplit.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 150
I'd use a couple of lengths of steel angle with holes. They could be screwed to the back and the inside faces of the battens so that they wouldn't be visible from the front. Not exactly woodwork, I know!

what about using a hinge so that they just flod in half when done?

Regarding Steel Lengths .....

Hi, thanks for the suggestion - sounds like a simple and workable idea. I do not mind using other materials so long as it is simple and works!

Just to be sure I've attached a picture that shows the sort of thing I think you mean, is this right?

Regarding a hinge ....
Presumably you mean using hinges on the back of the wooden batons? I had thought about this but how would I prevent the two pieces from folding when stood upright? When assembled, I need it to be as rigid as possible.

Attachments

• Portable-Ramp-Angle.jpg
    Portable-Ramp-Angle.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 136
As advised by John brown above, it might be improved if you could stagger the upright battens across join to give more support to the join of panel.

Could be done with additional battens instead of angle iron if necessity arises.

marcros":9m5o6mm2 said:
what about using a hinge so that they just flod in half when done?
Yes to hinged flod.
Couple of tower blots to lock it open? Or trunscrews?

Hi Devonwoody, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sorry but I am an IT nerd and not up to speed on all the terminology! :) ... you'll have to explain things to me like I am a 10-year-old! :)

When you say "stagger the upright battens", do you mean to use multiple batons on the rear of the pegboard sheet? I had intended to only use batons on the two edges, but can see how more would may it more stable. If this is what you mean, would you advise using the steel angles with each baton as advised by John Brown?

Thanks John Brown ... i understand what you mean now ... like the idea of tool free assembly.

Regarding the hinged approach, I've attached a diagram which I think shows the suggestion ... is this right?

Attachments

• PegBoardSplitWithFold.JPG
    PegBoardSplitWithFold.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 115
Back