How to hang an MDF sign board on a swinging bracket?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBurns04

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on hanging a sign I have made. The MDF board is 9mm thick, but has a picture moulding trim around the edge on both sides, making the sign 31mm at its thickest point around the edge.

My original plan was to drill through the top edge of the wood to attach some metal loops in order to hang the sign. I'm not sure if this would work as I'm using MDF. My second idea was to drill through the front of the MDF and use D shackles that would go over the trim and allow for a hook to be attached.

I've added a diagram of my bracket/sign board. Just looking for some guidance as I'm not experienced with working with MDF.

Thanks in advance :D

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 82
is there anywhere that you can drill in and insert a dowel, so that hooks are screwing into solid timber?

MarkBurns04":322lc4bh said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on hanging a sign I have made. The MDF board is 9mm thick, but has a picture moulding trim around the edge on both sides, making the sign 31mm at its thickest point around the edge.

My original plan was to drill through the top edge of the wood to attach some metal loops in order to hang the sign. I'm not sure if this would work as I'm using MDF. My second idea was to drill through the front of the MDF and use D shackles that would go over the trim and allow for a hook to be attached.

I've added a diagram of my bracket/sign board. Just looking for some guidance as I'm not experienced with working with MDF.

Thanks in advance :D

Are you planning on screwing into the frame or the MDF?

MDF is quite heavy at that size. Maybe try a few of these types of picture hooks? With two screws per hook, and 2 hooks, thats 4 screws. Or maybe 3-4 hooks? so 8 screws?

Picture-Frame-Hooks-Double-D-Ringshangers-Nickel-Plated.jpg

Back