how to handle it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
How do you handle a small object that needs to be finished in shellac, but has to be unmarked on all sides?

a friend asked me to make some scrabble tile supports. You know those little strips of wood that hold 4 tiles at 45 degrees.
No problem, used some walnut as the backing and oak for the support ledge. they look fine... so far.
They are going to be handled and turned in all directions and need to be shiny all over without handprints. I cant suspend them with string because that will leave a mark. i've tried latex gloves and holding the corners, but thats not a perfect solution.
Answers please.

Nail a panel pin in the bottom corner then cover with some cork pads. Something like this-
d1f0596bc073dc34d07a937d380790ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing the links to your projects. I also made a couple of jewelry boxes.
Could you maybe soak your parts overnight in linseed oil to get a shiny all over finish?

Coley, I do have some red felt sticky plastic I could coat the bottom with I suppose.

Matty, boxes become very addictive as youll find out. Idont have linseed oil. I dont want a "soaked" look, I'm just trying to get a "no fingerprint" look.

After my recent thread about wax finishes not drying out here because of the temps, now i've got the opposite problem with shellac. Today the car thermometer was showing 42 :shock: :shock: . Thats mid august temps. The shellac is drying as I brush it on the wood.

This is when the pool becomes a very good thing. 8) 8) 8)

Bear in mind ive never tried this, its just appeared in my mind as i read your post on daily walk to school. Like a tiny gold nugget in a cold abandoned mine long since believed to stripped bare.
(homer)
Stick some brass thumbtacks through a thick bit of card to keep them in place. Finish the bottom surface first. Place gently upon the inverted tack points and gently finish the rest releasing delicate finger holds for the very last bit.
My mum always said I'd amount to something.
:D

I'd have some pins through a couple of bits of ply just gently pushing on the end grain......like those lathe thingies that people talk about. You could then spin is using a pin, to get it finished everywhere, then after the finish has dried you do whatever you need to do to repair a couple of tiny pin holes in either end.

Red felt sounds like it might work well then !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The red felt would be nice.
It sure is addictive, especially looking at other people's projects. I went to Makers Central Exhibition a couple of month's ago and I saw some lovely clocks that had been made from scratch. That's my next project.

Back