How to get/manage sound on TV from a HDMI connected Mac PC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlow52

Established Member
Reaction score
On hols: there is a TV in apt with HDMI connections and I have the cable to connect DVI outlet from mac to TV. However, when playing DVD's on mac sound is only on mac speakers so quality and volume range is poor.
I have my elderly parents in law with me: I can subtitle the words but not the music:)
Thanks

nev":z0a99euo said:
as far as i am aware DVI connectors do not carry audio so if using a dvi output from mac there will be no sound to tv .

Indeed so.

It's no help I'm afraid, but the DVI and HDMI digital video spec is the same (so they inter-operate with passive adaptors), but I don't think there is any DVI spec that includes audio. The old Mac DVI connector is non-standard (surprise!) and also carries power, but I think even that doesn't carry audio too.

But... DVI will carry either analogue or digital signals. If it's got analogue video out on the DVI connector, AND if you can find an analogue breakout box, you might use analogue out from the Mac's DVI to the TV (into a video phono or SCART socket), and add-back the audio via the TV's phono sockets (if it has them) or the SCART lead.

I very much doubt it will accept analogue audio while the video is coming in digitally over HDMI.

I'm not sure though that the Macbook supports the analogue part of the DVI spec. It's not required (only optional) and Apple have a reputation for being, er, 'efficient' with their implementations of standards.

Sorry.

E.

I cannot access the Internet fully at the moment but I did a thread about this a while back.
MacBooks 2009 and earlier - the mini display did not output audio, you have to use the audio output mini stereo port.
I connected this to the PC input on the TV for sound but that will vary according to the TV.
I also found that some of the cheaper conversion adapters did not work and in the end resorted to the expensive Apple ones!

Rod

I used to use an ancient old Mac Mini (from the first release of the things) under the TV, using a DVI-to-HDMI connector to get the image up... and I found that if I ran the audio from the 3.5mm stereo socket on the Mac via a 3.5-to-phono cable and plugged this into the audio parts of the component input on the TV, then it would happily play the audio over the top of the HDMI signal. It's definitely worth experimenting around with any extra audio inputs you may have on your TV!

Later, I switched to using a newer Mini with an HDMI out, and it was actually far more problematic to get the audio working there! I struggled for about a week with the TV never showing up as an audio target in the Sound panel, trying everything the various Mac support fora suggested to no avail, until finally an OS update came along and it suddenly started working!

Back