How to get free tools at a bootfair!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

Following on from the "how to" bootfair thread the other week...I thought you would all be amused at my new technique of getting tools for free at a bootfair.

First..you need to take the missus and set her up on a stall with all her (and your) tat from the loft (and workshop). I find myself and her indoors standing in a field somewhere near me with about 1000 other idiots at 6am this Sunday...and leaving the fair lady in charge of setting up the stall..fighting off dealers and crazy Eastern European women...I went in search of bargains...armed with £60

Three rows down I found a beautiful brass and copper field barograph...which took my fancy and knocking the guy down from £50 to £35. I returned to the missus and left the beautiful scientific instrument on the stall with strict instructions only to sell it if she could get £60 or more as I intended selling it on FleaBay later this week.

Promising to return in "about 10 minutes" and clutching the remaining £25 knicker....I went in search of my real goal...tools!!!

An hour and a half later I returned having spent all the £25 with this little haul:

DSC_0214.JPG

Clockwise from top left:

A Makita 3700B laminate trimming router with microadjuster...(I know...I know..I have too many routers but at £17 who could resist!)

DSC_0215.JPG

Next this....a HUGE 2lb block of "vintage" "warranted!!!" beeswax - £2

DSC_0216.JPG

Next a WONDERFUL old book dated 1869 entitled "A Rudimentary Treatise on Galvanism" in which it speculates the impossibility of electric motors...and telephones are not even considered! All of £1 of the coin of the realm.

DSC_0217.JPG

Moving on...two dividers...50p

DSC_0218.JPG

Then a rasp and a dreadnought...quality tools of Sheffield...the rasp by Brooksbank and the dreadnought by F.B.Tools (absolutely as new sharpness) another 50p

DSC_0220.JPG

.....a beautiful solid brass and darn heavy barrel tap...£1

DSC_0221.JPG

In the middle...15 of these knobs which fit T track...cast aluminium...50p the lot...

DSC_0219.JPG

...and last but not least...one of these...

DSC_0224.JPG

I have NO IDEA what it is but it is made in Oz...and in respect for Derek...I got it and then contacted the company...

DSC_0223.JPG

....who are getting back to me as to what it is and what the hell it was used for...I am sure I can find some use for it and at only £1 it has to be a bargain!

With enough money left over for a cup of coffee...I headed back to find my beautiful barograph gone! SOLD! For £60....

And there my dear friends is how to get a load of tools for nuffink...get a tan (just) and come home with the money from her indoors totalling over £230 profit to boot! (pun intended!)

I thank you!

Jim

Please feel free to use this thread as the Bootfair Gloat thread for this week...I am sure you all have some gems to show!

theartfulbodger":3hnxas8m said:

As I discovered later yesterday...

Mine is a tad rougher but can be restored...once I have ploughed through it! :shock:

It's a bit "heavy" going to say the very least and his interpretation of "rudimentary" I think relates to "relative to Einstein"!!!

However it has to be worth a bit more than I paid for it.... :wink:

Jim

My dad always called any unknown tool a "Bedoozer" :)

I recently discovered that a Bedoozer is an Australian sheep castrater so maybe thats what it is!

Tin

Back