How to finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srs

Established Member
Reaction score
A while ago I picked up a bag of what I believe to be Jarrah Burr blanks (size 6” x 6” x 1 ½”) from Good Timber’s bargain box. Which I intended to use to cut some candle holders etc, however I slung a lump on the lathe and as long as you are gentle it turns ok (baring the huge amount of dust it creates).

Any way sorting through the bag some are more “interesting” (read filled with holes) I put one of these on the go and with a fair bit of patience and wearing gram-pars old tin ARP helmet I have managed to turn it into a bowl shape, not a lot of hope in keeping any soup in it as it has 3 large holes going through it but it dose look quite funky.

I’ve very gingerly sanded it smooth but now the problem comes I would like to give it a glossy finish to show off the burr but can’t quite bring my self to use friction polish on it because it will either break up or I will loose a finger in the process. So short of applying French polish when the bowl is static dose anyone else have any bright ideas?

Cheers

Simon

Oooo, good idea...... Why did I not think of that #-o

Back