How to edge painted bookcase uprights?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anynick

Reaction score
Can anybody advise me on the simplest way to edge bookcase uprights?

I am in a new house, and have to create about 70m of book shelving, split across 4 rooms, all fitted. This will involve about 17 bookcases around 500mm wide and about as tall as the rooms i.e. 2100mm or so. So that's 34 uprights. About 2/3 will be adjustable using bookcase strip, the other 1/3 will have fixed shelves.

The last time I did this was 25 years ago, and I used 18mm blockboard for both shelves and uprights, edged with 18mm half-round obtained from DIY store stripwood/moulding racks. But that was finished with dark stain. At the time both the blockboard and half-round were a pretty precise 18mm, and it worked out fine with minimal sanding, the dark stained half-round naturally providing a forgiving flush-ish join with the dark-stained blockboard, and between adjacent bookcases. This time we want white-painted, with a more modern square edge look, which will reveal lack of flushness much more, I think.

For the shelves, I will use 18mm birch ply (my timber merchant says that far eastern ply won't be stable enough, and I certainly don't want to use MDF for the shelves, because of sag), as blockboard is essentially no longer available (certainly within delivery distance of my house) - very costly, but I think there's no other realistic choice. The shelf spans are short, in order that I won't have any problems with shelf sag. I will edge them in softwood stripwood, 18mm by about 9mm or so, glued on. I will try to get 18mm milled exact from the timber merchant, then sand - fill - sand to achieve a flush join. If this doesn't work I will get the stripwood milled a bit over-width, and flush trim with a router.

But for the uprights I am puzzled. The approaches I can think of:
1. As for the shelves, use 18mm birch ply, edged with glued-on softwood. Unless I get very lucky with the stripwood, that will make for a very big and difficult routing/filling/sanding task, on some quite unwieldy boards. At the moment, this is the way I plan to go.
2. Same as 1, but use 18mm MDF for the uprights, just because it's a lot cheaper, will paint easier, and it's strong enough for that task.
3. Use over-width stripwood (maybe 6mm over width?) i.e. don't even try to get a flush edge. I am very reluctant to do this - it's a bad design for a bookcase as the books at the ends can't be withdrawn, and of course the upright edges would be proud of the shelf edges, rather than flush with them - I quite fancy having a fully flush front. But it would be very easy to do and if added after the bookcases are installed, it would neatly conceal the join between adjacent bookcases.
4. Use iron-on paintable edging. My timber merchant says this won't work on ply, because however well the plywood edge is sawn it will not take the edging well, which will show at the corners, and will come unstuck relatively easily. That's why I will use stripwood edging for the shelves. But maybe iron-edging would work for MDF uprights. I do want the bookcases to last but of course the edges of the uprights won't get much wear and tear. But I am still nervous about spending the next 20 years watching 70m+ of edging slowly pull off or chip away. I've only ever used iron-on edging on melamine chipboard, which was durable enough, though it's a delicate business getting a really a good corner. I've have never used the paintable edging.
5. Fill and sand the edges with something e.g. wood filler. I've never tried this. I assume it would be easier in either ply of MDF, but I don't know which! I wonder how easy it would be to achieve a good flat square edge on either material, though of course the painting would hide some sins. And I wonder how durable an edge like that is, even with little wear and tear on the uprights.

Does anybody know how the pros do this? The web is full of photos, on professional carpenters sites, of this style of bookshelf that all look fine (in low resolution, photographed when new - it's hard to tell what they will look like up close, 10 years down the road), but I can't work out how they are made.I think they probably mostly use oversize edging, and don't care much that the lip that's left is a continual niggle when the bookshelves are in use. For those that go for a flush design, I assume they use MDF, as from what I can tell the pros always use this for painted bookshelves, but I have no idea how they finish the edges.

For the birch ply shelves, it may be worth trying a sample just painted with no lipping. Birch ply has no voids and the edges can sand very smooth. You may find with a couple of coats of primer the ply wont show through. The ply will be harder wearing than softwood.

For uprights, I like to double up mdf, usually spaced apart so a face frame of 50mm width can be fitted. This allows the bookcases to be made in narrow carcases for easy assembly. The 50mm verticals are more attractive than a single 18mm upright.

If you can obtain it, tulipwood would be better for painting. Say 50 x 22mm for the uprights. To fix them and act as a spacer, I screw a batten centrally to the back face, this batten is 13mm x 35mm. This leaves 18.5mm each side so it covers the carcase uprights. Screw through the carcase sides to join up. If it can done the screws can be behind the shelf bookcase strip.

Iron on edging -best avoided.

T bar edging from ney is an option, but does look a bit office like.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - really helpful. I'll test your generosity with a couple of follow-ups:
RobinBHM":3vhkq3xk said:
For the birch ply shelves, it may be worth trying a sample just painted with no lipping. Birch ply has no voids and the edges can sand very smooth. You may find with a couple of coats of primer the ply wont show through. The ply will be harder wearing than softwood.
Very interesting - I wouldn't have known that the sawn edge of birch is more durable than softwood edging if you hadn't told me. You obviously don't think that over time the plywood layers will telegraph through the paint, which I would have worried about, based on no evidence at all. I will try this. And if it works for the shelves, then it could also work for the uprights? I have read of people using caulk, or wood filler, or even body filler to treat the edge, but I guess you don't think that is necessary?
For uprights, I like to double up mdf, usually spaced apart so a face frame of 50mm width can be fitted. This allows the bookcases to be made in narrow carcases for easy assembly. The 50mm verticals are more attractive than a single 18mm upright.
Yes, I was planning to double up - essentially put a series of carcases side by side - both for ease of assembly and for the look of it - also it should prevent any tendency for the uprights to bow especially on the adjustable bookcases which have no horizontal bracing from the shelves. But I was planning to just butt them up, giving a 36mm vertical. I will think about separating them, though I think I can live with the look of 36mm versus 50mm.
If you can obtain it, tulipwood would be better for painting.
Because the softwood won't paint so well because of the resin? I'll have to visit another merchant to try and find tulipwood - I don't think the one I planned on using does it; I know the Americans use it a lot as a cheap hardwood they call Poplar, but I wonder if it will be affordable from UK timber suppliers, or available planed in suitable narrow thin strips. I'll have a go.
Say 50 x 22mm for the uprights. To fix them and act as a spacer, I screw a batten centrally to the back face, this batten is 13mm x 35mm. This leaves 18.5mm each side so it covers the carcase uprights. Screw through the carcase sides to join up. If it can done the screws can be behind the shelf bookcase strip.
So you end up with 0.5mm of overlap. I guess that aesthetically this must look fine, and it certainly doesn't stop the books being inserted or withdrawn. But I suppose this means that your uprights are 22mm proud of the shelf fronts, rather than flush with them? This may well be a more practical way for me to go than trying to get it fully flush across both uprights and shelves.

I'd use redwood or whitewood throughout. Self finishing edges but you could plant on strips of something else. Light, stiff, easily worked, takes paint well, readily available. Perhaps ex 1 1/2" for the uprights, ex 1" for the shelves.
To avoid complicated joints at all the corners I'd set the shelves back from the uprights by 1/2" or so.

To be honest mate i would just get a joiner to come and in and do it, he/she knows what they are doing, they can source the correct materials you will need. Otherwise we could be forever on this post!!!

cornishjoinery":cxvik024 said:
To be honest mate i would just get a joiner to come and in and do it, he/she knows what they are doing, they can source the correct materials you will need. Otherwise we could be forever on this post!!!

I agree! Might as well shut the forum down as well!.... :lol:

I would have thought the birch ply edges will paint well, they could telegraph through a bit, but if you are brush applying the paint it wouldnt be very noticeable. The key is to sand the ply edge well, then paint a couple of coats of primer rubbing back between coats. Take care doing the edge sanding of the ply, especially if there are saw marks visible. A piece of timber off cut make a good sanding block, with say 80grit wrapped round tight or ideally glued on -the hard backing makes sure the edges stay crisp and square. A belt sander works well but cramp a few boards together to make a nice wide edge for the sander to sit square on.

Softwood is fine, but resin from knots and resin pockets tend to stain through paint. As you say tulipwood is probably not easy to source unless you have a local friendly joinery works.

I would always set the shelves back from the uprights, it generally looks better. I suppose to look right you would need to also fit a top rail and bottom rail to complete the face frame.

I tend to make a face frame slightly proud to allow for a bit of tolerance, 1/2mm or so is hardly noticeable. Much better than the carcase being proud.

The reason I make the face frame uprights 50mm is because it allows an easy way to fix them on and connect all the carcases together. With the thin batten behind, each upright becomes a T so each carcase side can be pushed up together. All can be screwed together and no need for fixing through the front frame and plugging.

If you prefer to fit the carcase back to back, the face frame verticals can be biscuited to 1 of each pair of carcase sides.

RobinBHM":fxxcfbqa said:
Softwood is fine, but resin from knots and resin pockets tend to stain through paint. ...
Not if you apply knotting. You would avoid having resin pockets on visible edges.

Yeah i take my comment back, just read anynick's comments and realised he is worried about 0.5 of a mm looking ok, i wouldn't want that job! ahhaha

Yep.
The OP has set himself a challenge - basically blockboard, ply and mdf are the wrong materials for shelves, though they'd do for uprights. Also blockboard has messy edges, ply better but difficult to paint.
If you must use the wrong materials the nicest edge finish with good quality ply is to leave it untouched, just planed.
Alternatively use the right materials - solid wood.

I hope your bookshelf project goes well. 70metres of shelving -thats quite a collection of books, perhaps its time to invest in a kindle :D

Im not sure how birch plywood could be 'the wrong material' for shelving, It paints well and is stiff enough for holding books. Keep the shelf widths down to the 600-800mm region (it looks better as well). You may not realise birch ply comes in various grades, from a local timber merchant you will find 1 or both faces may have butterfly wood patches where knots have been stamped out, this will show through paint, but your shelves wont be empty so it prob wont matter.

Although softwood is of course fine for painted work, for a joinery works, tulipwood is generally a better option. Tulipwood is more expensive than softwood but in most fitted cabinetry there is minimal solid wood content and so tulip is less costly overall since it is so much easier to prepare for painting. Softwood has surface checking, knots, resin pockets, mc issues, etc etc. I know knotting can be applied, but it doesnt prevent resin exudation from live knots or knot discolouration from tannin migration, (likely to be more of an issue with acrylic finishes than oil based). If you use softwood, unsorted is likely to have less knots than fifths -timber merchants may call either 'joinery grade'.

RobinBHM":duelbiem said:
Im not sure how birch plywood could be 'the wrong material' for shelving, It paints well and is stiff enough for holding books..
Expensive. Difficult to handle in a small space and cut neatly (spelches and wastage) without very good machines. Difficult to finish edges unless you want just plain planed. Not as stiff as redwood (I'm not sure about that), will permanently deform (slowly) under load. Heavy.
Redwood is tops IMHO and well proven.

Back