How to design and execute wall hanging wood projects?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi all

I am at a point in my woodworking journey where I have made a few small-scale-small-league projects (pots and pan rack, chopping boards, coasters and serving boards, candle lights etc)

Among all the projects, the most challenging part I have found is to hang the pots and pan rack on the freaking wall!

As with many run of the mill houses, my house has plasterboard walls. I thought my stud finder beepy thing would help me find a stud inside. This thing beeped at a few spots reliably and repeatedly, so I thought it must be stud in there, only to discover that it was brick!
I used a couple of those plastic winged wall plugs which spread the wings once past the inside face of the plasterboard, but I don't really trust them - So reinforced the wooden strip with some hard-as-nails thing and then screwed the rack to this strip. -Bottom line is, it took me forever to hunt for the studs which didn't exist, drill, plug and fix the strips.

I have other projects coming up like rustic wall hanging bedside table and a few shelves and I am worried to start them because I couldn't find a reliable way to hang them off plasterboard walls.

My questions really are these:
1. Is there a better equipment out there to find the studs than my cheapo amazon version? - If yes, what model and make?

2. Is there a cleverer way of making things hang on plasterboard walls? Heard and seen a lot about cleat system, but that again relies on the mating part being fixed on the walls.

3. What has worked best for you guys in terms of plasterboard fixings (there are 100s of promising types but none have the reliable reviews that I can bank on)

4. Do any of you fully trust the "hard as nails" kind of adhesive on its own without any mechanical fasteners? I always thought the adhesive is only as good as the surface it is on. It might be strong but if the paint peels off, would it just fail?

5. Any general tips would be very very helpful

Thank you all,
As ever
bp122 (homer) (homer) (homer)

The very best equipment for finding studs is firstly a knuckle and your ears, and then a bradawl. Mark out the horizontal line of a shelf or batten you want to put on the wall, and do your prodding with the bradawl within that zone so you don't have to do any repairs afterwards. It may be helpful to know that studs are normally at 400 centres, sometimes at 450, and occasionally at 600.

You can sometimes see marks in the skirting board where it has been nailed to the studs or you can use a magnet to find the plasterboard nails which should be in a stud.

All great assuming it isn't dot and dab.

plaster board fixing aren't great. I've always gone through to the brick if it's over a wall and put a spacer in.

Doug71":72vq3lnq said:
You can sometimes see marks in the skirting board where it has been nailed to the studs or you can use a magnet to find the plasterboard nails which should be in a stud.

I've got lath and plaster studwork in my house and using a magnet works brilliantly for that. It's quick and easy to find a line of nail heads which is a pretty good give away. You need a strong magnet. I got one of the rare earth magnets and it's good and strong. (Amusingly, it was delivered wrapped in a massive ball of bubble wrap; presumably to stop it sticking to random things.)

bp122":13yv1r8e said:
I used a couple of those plastic winged wall plugs which spread the wings once past the inside face of the plasterboard, but I don't really trust them...
I think maybe the thing to do is to build up your trust in plasterboard fixings. There are a couple of YouTube channels that have done done, ah, ever so slightly reassuring testing of them.

There's one from Ultimate Handyman and, well, I won't ruin the surprise but watch and see!

As impressive as the above is there are a few vids from Gosforth Handyman on the subject that are well worth watching as well since he tests for straight pull-out resistance and still, even basic plastic plugs can do very well.

I can't remember the exact name for them but the plugs that screw into the plasterboard and then you screw into them are the best form of plug IMO. If you can't find a stud that is of course.

Attachments

• 55036.jpg
    55036.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 156
Those ^ are the worst in Gosforth Handyman's estimation.

MikeG.":2b8iy36u said:
The very best equipment for finding studs is firstly a knuckle and your ears, and then a bradawl. Mark out the horizontal line of a shelf or batten you want to put on the wall, and do your prodding with the bradawl within that zone so you don't have to do any repairs afterwards. It may be helpful to know that studs are normally at 400 centres, sometimes at 450, and occasionally at 600.

Thanks, Mike.

But my issue is, it is not always possible to have a stud around the spot or height I want the shelf / frame to mount on.

ED65":2u78pdbz said:
bp122":2u78pdbz said:
I used a couple of those plastic winged wall plugs which spread the wings once past the inside face of the plasterboard, but I don't really trust them...
I think maybe the thing to do is to build up your trust in plasterboard fixings. There are a couple of YouTube channels that have done done, ah, ever so slightly reassuring testing of them.

There's one from Ultimate Handyman and, well, I won't ruin the surprise but watch and see!

As impressive as the above is there are a few vids from Gosforth Handyman on the subject that are well worth watching as well since he tests for straight pull-out resistance and still, even basic plastic plugs can do very well.

Thanks for this. It was very helpful watching it.

That would work":sqbbk0s6 said:
I can't remember the exact name for them but the plugs that screw into the plasterboard and then you screw into them are the best form of plug IMO. If you can't find a stud that is of course.

I used to use these but see lots of bad reviews now so stopped using them and worry about jobs I did in the past!

Lightweight stuff I like the fischer duopower plugs, heavier stuff on dot and dab I like these

https://www.drylinepro.com/

Doug71":v3smk7be said:
That would work":v3smk7be said:

I used to use these but see lots of bad reviews now so stopped using them and worry about jobs I did in the past!

Lightweight stuff I like the fischer duopower plugs, heavier stuff on dot and dab I like these

https://www.drylinepro.com/

Cool. That does look stronger than what I have done :cry:

Anyways, how can I find out what kind of wall I have - Dot-n-dab over brick or Studded? Is my assumption that studded walls have deeper cavities (distance between the back of the plasterboard and the front face of the brick) than dot and dab walls correct?

For fixing to plasterboard I always use the anchors that you use a setting tool to put in. They're the best. I've used them for radiators etc and they've been fine.

Same as these....
405504 Plasterboard Anchors Pliers Fixing Tool Kit 72PC https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J476MT ... oEbSWVJY48

If it's dot and dab it's easy enough to screw into the block/bricks/stone behind the dot and dab. In those situations I use frame fixings like these....
https://www.toolstation.com/masonry-tor ... wkQAvD_BwE

If you're not fixing where there's a dab you can always put a squirt of foam behind the plasterboard and don't tighten the fixing tight until the foams set.

Back