How to cut this shape accurately?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar43634

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to cut this shape accurately and with a view to batch out lots of them but struggling to get any accuracy or repeatability.
Its base is 40mm which tapers to 20mm at the top 65mm high with a 15mm hole at the top.
I first cut it into 40mm x 65mm block then drilled the hole in the centre; then using my tracksaw I cut the first 2 tapers (block lying on its side) but the next 2 is where it becomes problematic as I can't support the track on top and you can see from the photos that's it's not square or perfectly lined up.

I can imagine it being easier on a table saw... ripping a long board with the 2 side angles (block standing up) then cross cut to final size.
I only have a tracksaw/mft and small bandsaw does anyone have any tips guidance?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0027_10.JPG
    DSC_0027_10.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0028_10.JPG
    DSC_0028_10.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 33
Jigs are my thought. I'd knock up a set of jigs to hold the block in a repeatable position at various stages of the process. I think the bandsaw will leave too much finishing so I'd focus on using the tracksaw.

I would use the track saw as Fitzroy says- make up a box that can sit under the track, with some means of locating the track on it- and use the hole plus the bottom face to locate the workpiece in the jig.

Hmm,........... for repeatabjlity a jig/ cradle is your best option. This is more easily done with the band saw, though you will have to clean up with a hand plane. Drilling the hole is probably best left to last.
You can achieve accurate result, but the process will be fairly slow. I have carried out similar tasks in the past, but this was done by feeding it through a thicknesser , using a pair of cradles.

Latest posts

Back