How to cut laminate worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdbeardmt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I’m starting the process of building a router table. I have an off cut of kitchen top that I think would be good for it.

I’d like install some T track etc in it for the fence and looking for some advice on the best way to rout this in so that the surface itself Is as neat as possible. I’m wondering if it’s best to just score and cut the sections first.

Any advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• F1BE010F-31BF-40CB-A190-3C466C55F782.jpeg
    F1BE010F-31BF-40CB-A190-3C466C55F782.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 12
I have cut kitchen top with the table saw and got a reasonably neat edge. I have also routered out an opening for a router plate. If the bit is sharp and you take lite skims of just a couple of mm to avoid heat buildup it should be fine. Try test cuts on a scrap piece first.
Regards
John

The corner joints in laminate worktops are generally cut with a router which leaves a very crisp machined edge, personally that would be the way I’d go about letting in your T track plus the height adjustment feature on routers make setting depth of cut a doddle.

thanks all. Currently trying to get my head around the various kits that exist for this purpose. Ranging from the cheap shift you can get for t-bar to the eye-wateringly expensive (and constantly out of stock) UKJ router table kits...

Back